• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Red wee!

shannon321

Alpha Buck
Now i know rabbits wee can get a strange colour specially when de-hydrated but when i just went to change bun buns litter tray the newspaper was all stained reddy/brown?!

I've checked her all over and she's not bleeding from her bits or anything and she's got a cream blanket and theres not anything on that so its deffo the colour of her wee? she's eating drinking fine and hopping around like normal is this serious?

The only thing different she's had in the past day or two is she went outside for a few hours yesterday morning while it was nice and we have an ash tree that's dropping leaves every where our garden is literally a sea of leaves, i pick as mny as i an out of the run but its just impossible to get them all out and i've looked and looked to find out if its poisenous to rabbits and can't ind anything so i didn't think the odd few would harm her?!

Any ideas?

Red wee can be caused by pigments in some plants and vegetables. Has she had alot of carrots, spinach or other veg which contains beta caroten?

Editted to add..

Ref the leaves I believe Mountain Ash is safe.

Dont know about the leaves, but has she/he been eating a lot of carrot?
This can cause red wee.

if shes ok eating happy and running around leave her on just dry food and hay for 24hours to see if it goes back to normal, if your really concerned ring the vet,

frostys wee goes an orangey colour when shes eaten carrots :)

hmmm she did have a whole carrot which she doesn't usually get the day before yesterday...... in wasn't huge but i usually only give her half once or twice a week?!

My bunny eats a lot of the bunny safe leaves. They can colour the urine almost like "black tea" & it's OK. Dandelions also do this.

I had the same problem a few weeks ago and rang my vets for advice. They said it's to do with what he'd eaten. Could be too much green stuff. They said different foods alter the colour of wee. Funnily enough I have an ash tree in my garden and Cookie has eaten some, like you I do try and remove as many as poss from his run although I believe they are safe. Some days his wee is yellow, some days orange , some days reddy brown. Have spoken to quite a few rabbit owners who have had similar problems. Looking back on the history on this site, lots of people have had this worry. Fortunately we are worrying unnecessarily.:wave:

Dandelion seems to cause red wee as well, it's possible they munched on a bit of that while out in the garden too :)

Back