• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do for the best?/ UD 3/11

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
I need to make a decision about Fern and I really don't know what to do. She is a 7 1/2 year old French lop.

She generally is very lively but is drinking and weeing far to much and is also always starving hungry. She saw the vet today and will go back for blood tests next week as the surgerys bolld machine is broken at the moment.

The vet also discovered that Fern has some irregular molars on one side. These don't seem to be bothering her at the moment but the chances are they will in the future.

I now need to decide whether to risk a GA and get them sorted now or wait and see if they get worse. The vet is very reluctant to GA her because of her age and breed, but I am thinking that if we do it now it will be a quicker dental and she may be in better condition now than in the future as she has lost a little weight.:? But then again if she has lots of other problems her teeth may be the least of her worries and may never get to a point where they are causing real problems.

What would you do? I have had Fern since she was 4 months old so she has always had a good life, if that makes any difference :?

Last edited:
Poor Fern :( I was wondering how my little sponsor girl was doing...i'm sorry to hear she is a little under the weather - am glad she feels bright in herself.
If it were me, and i've hardly got the wealth of experience of chronically ill buns as you have, I would just run the bloods and urine tests first to check for any renal or urinary tract issues, and if her molar spurs are not causing issues for her at the moment, then I would not rush into a dental, but that is just me. Perhaps just a higher tough fibre diet will manage her spurs for a little longer in the meanwhile? If Fern would like some tough hay then please let me know and I could send her some. :)

Sorry to hear she is appearing poorly:(

Personally I would wait as if they are not bothering her it seems a shame to put her through any extra stress she may already be going through.

I have been told by my vet to keep an eye on Feegals weight and any weight loss detected he is to go in for a dental, otherwise he would be in for a G/A every 3 weeks:shock: I don't know if you are already doing this for Fern? Maybe this may help:?

Good luck to you and Fern.

Sorry to hear she is appearing poorly:(

Personally I would wait as if they are not bothering her it seems a shame to put her through any extra stress she may already be going through.

I have been told by my vet to keep an eye on Feegals weight and any weight loss detected he is to go in for a dental, otherwise he would be in for a G/A every 3 weeks:shock: I don't know if you are already doing this for Fern? Maybe this may help:?

Good luck to you and Fern.

Thanks, Fern is already loosing weight but we don't know if this is teeth related or not :?

My main concern is if she has other health problems that may worsen then she is going to be healthier now for a GA than in the future. I would hate to loose her at some point because of her teeth when we could do something now. :?

Are the spurs in an easy place to see? Have you got one of those thingies the vet uses to look for lacerations/ulcers in their mouths? Maybe that way the G/A could be put off until necessary.

Also Feegal had some spurs right at the back which could not be seen when he was conscious. Is it possible that she may have these?

a tough choice....

Sounds like she has diabetes - the bloods etc should tell you if its primary or secondary to another condition. I dont know enough to say if diabetes is common in rabbits or what the likely outcome is. (could also be hyperthyroid but again, dont know how that goes in rabbits....)

If the molars arent bothering her now, i'd wait til after the tests. then you know her overall health status and whether its safe or worth a GA for dental.

To be honest, I am probably with you, in the doing it sooner rather than later so that she is hopefully in better condition, it rules out whether or not it is a problem, it means hopefully it will reoccur less because less damage will have been done to the positioning, etc. Almost like a pre-emptive strike.

However, only you can decide what is best for your buns. What does your gut instinct say?

. What does your gut instinct say?

At the moment I have no idea which is why I posted :D I think for now I will wait until bloods are done early next week and see if that helps with the decision.

I think if I do want it done now I will really have to push for it as the vet was very reluctant :(

Ferns blood results came back OK. We are a bit confused as her wetting os so bad her hutch is actually starting to rot :? We will be starting her on a course of panacur just to be on the safe side.

Because the results are OK the vet feels we have no choice but to give Fern a GA and check her teeth properly etc :cry: This is going to be such a big risk.

I will give her a week start on panacur and then book her in :(

She's an old girl!! I think you don't really have a choice though. If it's the only idea you have for her problem then you need to have it done!

Poor girly! Give her a nose rub from me!

Poor Fern :( I hope the GA goes well. Im off to see her on your website now too see what she looks like :) xXx

Oh Liz, shes gorgeous :love: I really do hope everything goes ok for her xXx

Fingers crossed for this big beautiful bun.
I would be tempted to go with getting it done sooner rather than later and the risk factor will only increase over time.
It's a tough decision but I'm sure you'll do what's best for her.

Fingers crossed for this big beautiful bun.
I would be tempted to go with getting it done sooner rather than later and the risk factor will only increase over time.
It's a tough decision but I'm sure you'll do what's best for her.

Well the vet has made the decision for me now as she feels we have no option given the bloods have turned up nothing. I am glad in away as I did really want to get it done sooner but will be a complete wreck on the day:cry:

I am glad in away as I did really want to get it done sooner but will be a complete wreck on the day:cry:

Lots of vibes for this beautiful bun. You vet seems to be very good so i'm sure she has mad ethe right decision for Fern.

We'll all be here to support you as always and to send vibes to Fern:)

Back