• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

CYLAP limp - big mistake :(

VikkiVet

Mama Doe
Took the girls to the vet on monday for their VHD

My vet is very bunny savvy and really nice. We were just talking about the CYLAP limp as i couldnt remember if it was from VHD or myxi jabs.

She said she has never actually seen a case but has heard of it happening.

Anyhew, the VHD jab the girls got was CYLAP and now Phoenix has a limp :(
And on her gotcha day and all!

I knew i should have insisted on the Lapinject one. Why did i risk it???

She seems ok, still eating, drinking, pooing etc, just doesnt want to run around

I'll take her back to the vet in the morning for some analgesia - do i really have to pay for this, or do the drug companies cover adverse vaccination reactions?

my poor wee girl :(

Sorry to hear your poor girlie has the limp from the Cylap VHD jab. My boy got it when he had it too - but rather an overall body stiffness and limp and feeling very off colour. It does pass within 24 hours normally so i'm sure she'll feel lots better tomorrow or the day after.

Atleast you know now to insist on Lapinject. Not a nice way to find out though. I'm lucky that our vet practice only stocks Lapinject.
I'm not sure if the drug companies will pay? I doubt it very much - they don't seem to even acknowledge that a problem exists. Your vet might reimburse you though? Or at the very least not charge you for the follow up consult and metacam. :)

Poor girl :cry:

I wouldn't touch Cylap with a barge pole

The manufacturers are unlikely to cover costs for some Metacam as they refuse to admit the post vaccination limp exists :roll:

Although alot may think Cylap is a big mistake, alot of people have no option but to use it.

Lapinject comes in a larger bottle, with more vaccines in, so when i asked my vet for it before they said i would have to pay for the full amount of the bottle as once it is opened it cant be re-stored.

Im sure it was about £80 for the Lapinject, so i had to go with the Cylap and Kermit got a limp, which wasnt great with him also having head tilt!!!

Luckily Inca was fine when she got hers.

we still use the cylap. Alvin got the limp once and has a minor skin reaction and pearl had a skin reaction too. ive not asked about the other one tbh it hasnt been around as long so side effects could possibly not be known about yet.

i also think a dead leg for a few days (we get dead arms on injections) and a small scab that causes minor irritation is million times better than a horrific death

i still dont like all these chemicals in my pets tho :evil:

Although alot may think Cylap is a big mistake, alot of people have no option but to use it.

Lapinject comes in a larger bottle, with more vaccines in, so when i asked my vet for it before they said i would have to pay for the full amount of the bottle as once it is opened it cant be re-stored.

Im sure it was about £80 for the Lapinject, so i had to go with the Cylap and Kermit got a limp, which wasnt great with him also having head tilt!!!

But a bottle of lapinject (enough for 5 bunnies if done on the same day) only cost a few pence more than 1 dose of cylap from the veterinary wholesalers...

But a bottle of lapinject (enough for 5 bunnies if done on the same day) only cost a few pence more than 1 dose of cylap from the veterinary wholesalers...

But i only had one bunny at the time, and two now, so would have to find other buns to use the injection up.
But i agree that its good if you have enough buns :)
(mmm.....maybe i should just get more buns :))

I've just logged on to ask about the same subject. Amber had Cylap yesterday morning. This morning she is VERY quiet, she's just sat in the corner. She seems to be eating ok but just not herself, she didn't 'help' with mucking out this morning. I'm not sure if she is limping but she's walking more than hopping i think.I'm a bit worried as she wasn't like his last time she had it

Last edited:
Hi, I've never posted on here before. I just read this thread and felt I needed to. I took our Rabbit for a vhd vaccination on thursday night, friday morning she was not herself at all she was sitting in a corner, and could hardly walk on her foot. I made another apointment with the vet because I didn't realise they could get this. The vet told me she probably sprained her ankle and charged me £15 to check her foot (which took her a minute). I am now feeling angry and want to complain. makes me realise how little my vets actually know about rabbits!
For the person who posted before me, she was much better the following day and is back to zooming round the garden and house now, so I'm sure your rabbit will be well soon!

Thanks Kareena,

I think you should definitely say something to your vet!
I've read threads on Cylap before and even reassured others on the subject but when it's your own bun you can't help but worry. Especially because she had it once before and she was fine and she's not being her usual bouncy self. I will massage the jab site in a sec. Shall i try a droplet of Metacam after her breakfast ?

Do we have an address o fthe maufacturer? I think we should all write to them. From the people here it should add 30+ more letters on their complaints pile!

Do we have an address o fthe maufacturer? I think we should all write to them. From the people here it should add 30+ more letters on their complaints pile!

I think Jacks-Jane collected some information on this to send to the manufacturer a while ago (sorry jane if it wasn't you but I know someone on here did)

I'm not sure about metcalm, so can't say. My Rabbit (her name is Leuki) just seemed to want to be alone, when I went near her she was limping away from me, it was really upsetting but I just left her alone whilst checking her often.
I wouldn't mind to write a letter if there is an address, at the very least I think the vets should have an obligation to tell people what to expect!

I only have two buns, and their VHD jabs are 6 months apart - so we only ever have one jab done at a time. We are charged the usual £17.50 or £20 or whatever it is for the VHD vaccine - never any more than that. (Our vet only stocks Lapinject and charges normal rates) :?

My vet special orders lapinject for me and charges the same as the do for cylap. Sometimes I have a couple of buns done at the same time but not often. They didn't know anything about Lapinject but once I showed them some info from here they were happy to order it for me, though I suspect they may think I am a little 'fussy' as I think they believe the Cylap Limp is all in my head! :lol:

Thanks for all the replies

She's a little brighter this morning, but i am keeping them in their room for the day, so she can stay near the food and water etc without Indi going off and leaving her!

i'll call the vets today and see what they say about metacam, though i am hoping it will resolve without the need for another trip to the vets!

I can feel a research project coming on.......
(currently writing the one about breed traits - will make it available to all when finished!)

Your vet should pass any cost incurred onto the manufacturer - when seven of mine reacted with horrific areas of bare skin 14 months ago, Fort Dodge paid for around £200 of treatment without even wanting to see photographs! Insist that they take it seriously - there are far too many bunnies having these side effects when Cylap is used.

well she is now bombing around the house, into everything, so i guess she's over it now! :roll:

i'll talk to the vet anyway tho...

If Fort Dodge are prepared to pay out with minimal info then they must know that these things occur too often! :?

Back