• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

advice on bertie please...vet saw him AGAIN

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well i will condense story..bertie lost his frenchie wifey a year ago today and became very very ill..no tests showed anyhting only he was a little anaemic.
he has been very unlucky with gi probs ever since then. But the last time i took him to the vet..he was doing masses of soft pos foul smelling puddings the size of golf balls and bigger...and not pooping enough. They kept him in gave him a drip and baytril etc. then he was fine so they sent him home. he didnt do nay soft poops there they said. well he made up for it when he got home! the vet said his poo samples came back normal. we have tried just seeing ho wit goes and no vet visits etc. However..he has had soft poops every single day but he is also pooping normaly again.
Today was the final straw..especially being the first anniversary of willows death...bertie had done 4 huge foul soft gloops..ate two then left another two for me. He has been fighting with bif every single day maybe a few times a day and night.
he has been eating more pelelts even tho ive reduced the amount...that actualy goes into the bowl in 2hrs. He is eating hay but not shedloads like he usually does. he is very bad tempered and today he was attacking the bean bag settee even whilst he was enjoying being stroked...he was very obviously in pain....i went back upstairs to wake my daugher up..and in the time i took he had chewed massive great holes in the faux leather covering..and scissor chewed the rest.
I got him in at the vets at 5.10pm and we saw ellen our vet. she tried to look at his teeth but he wasnt having nay of it. they say his teeth are fine each and every time but we know spurs etc can hide.
She has asked me to drop him off friday morning for her to take him to the hospital and do a dental on a knocked out bertie...and whilst there if nos ign of teeth probs....shell xray his jaw etc in case its a tooth root problem and also take some bloods.
i am terrified of him having a GA..ellens not to happy either....but we have to find out what is wrong with him.
so she gave him a pain killingjab....enough for a small dog and hes resting easier.
she said to give him metacam till friday...but it can give them upset guts..with his tum wed never know!

so im a wreck.....bif senses it and shes fretting already.

any one else had buns with tum prob not related to food?

Sorry to hear Bertie is poorly :cry: You must be very worried about your gorgeous boy. I think you are right - he does sound in pain. I expect this is behind the change in behaviour and the frustration behaviour with both Bif and his surroundings. His tummy to me just sounds like an ongoing chronic caecal dysbiosis - but a bad one, I expect any stress or pain will cause further GI slowdown, as will not eating so much (due to the suspected dental pain) and GI slowdown has a further knock on effect on caecal balance - a vicious cycle.

I'm glad you got to see your vet and that she is having him in asap to check his teeth and do Xrays under GA - I know you must be worried, but I agree that he needs this done. If he deteriorates and stops eating he will need it done more urgently than friday as you don't want to put him under anorexic. I would try and keep his fluids up too - keep him hydrated. If he can eat grass/dandelions or veggies then wash them first and offer still wet if you can. I know that's tricky as he's already tummy upset. But fibrous greens should be ok - apple leaves (have you got a tree?), dandelions, plantain and grass shouldn't cause too much further upset - like it could be worse?!
I'd recommend some more fibreplex too if you can - or some biolapis/avipro.

Vibes for his dental on Friday - try not to worry, i'm sure he's going to be ok. :) I would personally leave off the antibiotics if the vet agrees if there was nothing wrong with his droppings as it can't be good for his dysbiosis. :? x

Back