• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

neutering

delly

Warren Scout
Hello :) My male rabbit is going for his neuter this friday coming, and i am rather nervous! He is 2 1/2 years old. Just wondered if anyone has any advice? Any tips on looking after him when he comes home etc... Thanks! :D

Don't worry - its easier for males and they tend to bounce back pretty quickly. The most important thing is to make sure your vet gives plenty of pain med to keep him comfortable and you get him eating/pooping as soon as possible. Its not unusual for them to go off pellets for a day or so, so make sure you have his fav fresh veggies to hand to tempt him.

keep an eye on "down below" to make sure its healing nicely.My friends little boy developed a large haematoma :shock::shock: and had to go back to the vets and got antibiotics.I gave mine a soft towel to lie on as hay and straw can irritate it.Boys def. recover quicker than girls
I took my little boy inside when he came back from the vets as bunnies can have probs maintaining their temperature following a GA.

I have just had my first female spayed yesterday and I cant believe how well she seems. She was a little shaky yesterday and I was planning to keep her inside last night but she was moping around. So I put her back in with her husbun who has looked after her. He has even been taking cabbage leaves up to her in the hutch.:love: Today she is fine and is hopping around as usual. They seem to just bounce back.:D

Thanks :) yeah he is an indoor bunny at the minute, but i am looking into getting a shed but couldn't bear leaving him outside on his own so i am going to get him a friend! Will wait till its spring to start putting him out though because of his coat. How long does it usually take them to recover? and how much pain relief do vets usually give? I'm going to have a good chat before he goes in. He's not going to like me when i bring him home bless him!

Totally agree with other posts. Had my two boys done at the same time a few weeks ago and was worried. Didn't need to though as they both bounced back quickly. Mine were both off pellets for about 48 hours after, but I tempted them to eat hay from my hand and all their fave herbs, fruit and veg. I also brought their hutches inside and gave towels to lie on. They were a bit grumpy at 1st but soon came round. Try not to worry.:wave:

How long does it usually take them to recover? and how much pain relief do vets usually give?

Out of the five I have had done, the boys were all back to normal by next morning at the most, some were even normal by the time I collected them from the vets. My girls were a bit slower, say maybe the following eve.

My vet gives a long lasting pain killer by injection and this has been sufficient for all of them, except 1 girl who was a little more uncomfortable. I just asked my vet when I went back the following day for a post op check up who gave me some metacam I could syringe her.

Louie was his normal naughty self on the evening of the op :shock:

I just checked his bits for the first few days to make sure he hadn't over groomed himself but he was fine :D

Back