• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

weight on

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
How do you put weight / keep weight on your bunnies that are having trouble doing so?

Cherry is currently 1.5kg. and a dental bun. Im just wondering what you feed them to help them gain weight. She turns her nose up at recovery sachets, and I am giving her fibre plex 2 a day, and Sky-o recommended some other paste which is good.

But what else

Do the infant pellets have higher calories?

I think I may have read somewhere about sunflower seeds? But I cant be sure.

I am currently giving her mush of oats, ss pellets and either apple or banana, with apple juice.

But I am wondering if that is the best for her over a period of time.

Not sure about the baby pellets, I will have a look on my way home

Yep the junior pellets are normally better for putting weight on them :) Have you tried giving her hobnobs as a treat? When i had a foster bunny here who was underweight, we have her a plain hobnob once a day. She loved them.

Hope she improves soon xXx

Sunflower seeds too, just one or two a day. Junoir and Dwarf Excel Pellets helped get my foster Rosie from 1.55 (down from 1.9) back to 1.8 pretty swiftly.

Also, how you feed is important too I think in getting and keeping weight on.

I found with those that were losing weight that feeding once or twice a day did not work for them. For Rosie and Summer we fed some fresh everytime we went past, so there was a constant supply of high calorie (well, higher than the calories in hay) food available. So I guess what I mean is feeding throughout the day worked better for those of mine who needed to gain weight, as opposed to just the small handful of pellets the rest of mine get.

Ah right, I left her with a pile of food when I left this morning and all the green and pellets were gone along with half a bowl of the pellet mash I made her. :)

Ah right, I left her with a pile of food when I left this morning and all the green and pellets were gone along with half a bowl of the pellet mash I made her. :)

Is she seperated from the others then? :(

It was vet reccommendation for the hobnobs :) They definately worked :) I guess it depends how underweight she is really. If she doesnt need to put that much on, then just changing to the junior pellets would surely do the trick?

You could try a different type of meusli/pellet. Maybe some pet shop treats too, most of them are gaurenteed to put on weight with all the c**p in them :lol:

I seperated her from Charlie, although I am now considering putting them back together, as she seems rather down now. :? But as sky-o said she needs to be fed at regular intervals, then she would be better by herself. I work during the day, so it would be impossible to give her food ad hoc, without her being alone. :? I feel like Im between a rock and a hard place.

Currently she is 1.5kg, I think I would be happier with her if she was on the other side of 2.5, hobnobs it it then!

I have moved her over from A+P to SS, in the hope it would hold her weight on a bit better. She defiantely prefers it.

Back