• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Hiccup/choking sound

nemmie

Warren Scout
Hi everyone,
Jubby keeps on making a noise when he drinks and sometimes when he's eaten which is a mix between a hiccup and a choke. Kinda sounds like the noise I make when a drink goes down the wrong way.
He shakes his head sometimes and then is totally fine. No other signs of any problems and it certainly doesn't put him off his food or drink.
Am going to mention it to the vet this week when he goes for his jab but wondered if anyone had any experience with this?
Many thanks.

Hi there :wave:

I'm not sure that it will be the same thing that you're referring to, but my bun often makes lots of noisy slurpy sounds when she drinks. If this is the sound your bun is making, then I'm fairly sure that it is normal, but don't know if this quite fits what you are describing? Is there any way that you could record the noise and post it? or take a video to your vets for them to listen to?

I guess if he doesn't seem bothered by it, then you probably don't have too much to worry about... That said, hopefully when you see the vet they will be able to put your mind at rest! :)

Hi ya!

Yep it is different to those normal slurpy noises I know and love from him LOL!
It usually after he has finished eating or drinking but only about 10-20 seconds after and I always know its coming. He has ''a look'' like he's uncomfy for those seconds. Then makes the noise and looks relived.

Will record on blackberry if I can and take to the vets.

Many thanks.

Hehe, I always find it strange that such noisy sounds can come from such tiny buns! :lol:

Hmm, well I can't suggest anything else, other than what you have mentioned below (that perhaps something is going down the wrong way and he is clearing it).

No idea how it's done, but I have seen videos posted on here. Perhaps if you could do that, someone else will have a better idea of what this noise could be?

Fingers crossed it's nothing serious and you get to the bottom of this soon!

I'm sorry I can't give you an answer. Apparently bunnies can't burp, so I would love to know what the vet says & hear the sound if you can post it.
Thank you for such an interesting post, please keep us updated.

Frasier is a noisy drinker but he is fine. Just one of his cute quirks.

Recoding it on the blackberry is a great idea. I hope your vet can get to the bottom of it and put your mind at rest.

Back