• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

how to tell if my rabbit has ear mites

hey every one
in both of my rabbit ears there is blood/cuts
about two cuts in both ear with blood over them

sometimes i see her shake her head
and some times scratching her ears

in her ears theres a bit of light yellow wax thats dry
other then the blood thats all

first question:does my rabbit have ear mites?
2nd question:can you see ear mites ?
3nd question:can i treat this on my own ?

thanks for the help

Last edited:
Treating B for ear mites.Heard you can treat witholive oil but it made mine itch more so did more harm than good.B had an inflametry injection today as her ear is swollen & shes losing her fur badly.Shes had her 2nd dose of spot on & vet gave us ear cleaner to help with wax.What I want to know is can skin scrapings be taken like with fur mites cos my vet didn't do this.:(

I would take your rabbit to the vets as soon as you can. That sounds pretty nasty. The yellow stuff may not be wax it could be infection puss. This can lead to more serious problems. I don't want to scare you but it sounds very sore.

I would take your rabbit to the vets as soon as you can. That sounds pretty nasty. The yellow stuff may not be wax it could be infection puss. This can lead to more serious problems. I don't want to scare you but it sounds very sore.

Would just like to agree with Binkybun :thumb:

Wax is usually orangey coloured...pus is pale yellow.

ok see what i can do about visiting the vet

just one more thing
on my rabbits eyes there is a clear crust that grows on it every day and i take it off(its on both eyes and only on the corner that faces the mouth)

is it just the stuff that humans get ?(the stuff you get after sleeping on a hot day

It could be a little bit of discharge which is normal. However, I would mention it to your vet just to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Back