• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do nethies live a shorter time than other breeds?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
I know there's been debate about conti life spans, but was just wondering about the other end of the size scale...:?

sweet pea was 11 when he passed on. he was a nethie cross with dutch so not so small as to have dental and nasal issues but still small (we used to think he was nethie size till we got a true nethie). he was 1.5k most of his life.

I have a 9.5 year old Nethie X and another Nethie I had was 13 when she passed away.

She wasn't spayed til she got pyometra aged 11 (when I adopted her) and she had lived on a diet of grass (free range 24/7) white bread and half a cabbage A DAY :shock:
Never vaccinated either

Oh, and she had perfect teeth.

:?

I have a 9.5 year old Nethie X and another Nethie I had was 13 when she passed away.

She wasn't spayed til she got pyometra aged 11 (when I adopted her) and she had lived on a diet of grass (free range 24/7) white bread and half a cabbage A DAY :shock:
Never vaccinated either

Oh, and she had perfect teeth.

:?

Ah, shows how it should be done.... ;)

When I asked the question of longevity with breeds my local vet said from her own experience Nethies seemed to be longer living than any other breed she had come across.

I seem to recall seeing an article once about the oldest rabbit in the world and it was 16 and a nethie/Dutch cross from the look of it.

As said before, less pressure would be on their hearts.

I've heard that Polish are hard to keep alive, because of their tiny hearts. Especially when they're scared.

Generally nethies seem to live on average longer (8-10+), whereas the bigger breeds can be only roughly 5-7 years. Obviously you get those who can live a lot longer, and those who lose their lives earlier. The longest living breed seems to be the dutch who seem to more regularly live into their early and mid teens.

I think with dogs the smaller breeds tend to live longer than the bigger breeds, is that true? Maybe its a trait that goes through lots of species of animals.

I had two dutchies when I was a kid, both had small hutches, unspayed and fed mix, never vaccinated, lived to 8 and 9. However I think this has more to do with rabbit being hardier then that anything else.

rosie is my oldest rabbit i have kept to date she is a nethie perfect health (touch wood)

i had a french lop thumper she lived to an estimated 9-13yrs she was a rescue soo exact age is unknown, she had no health problems either

they do tend to say nethies have a longer life span though

Well, it's coming up for 8 years that we've had Squidgy, and we don't know how old he was when he came to us.
Salt and Pepper are over 5 and still look like teenagers!
Hopefully we've got a lot longer left with our little nethies.

Back