• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do I seperated Charlie and Cherry?

Should I seperate cherry and charlie?

• Yes, it will help her gain weight

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No, the company will help her

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • maybe ther is another solution

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Cherry is suffering badly with her teeth, it is only 3 weeks since her last dental. She is down to 1.5kg, which is dangerously low. I am looking into courses of action, and while doing this I want to increase her weight and try to reduce the risks of going under GA for her next dental.

I want to bring her in, her body doesn't have enough energy to compete with the cold, she hasn't even started a moult yet. Charlie is being a greedy sod, and eating any food going, tbh is getting to be a bit of a porker.

Charlie being a lion head cross is fluffy anyway, but he is now in full winter coat, and I think it would be cruel to bring him into the warm house.

I have a 47inch dog crate coming tomorrow, which I think would be ample space for the both of them, but think he may hinder her weight gain.

Any opinions in splitting them?

:wave:
Not much advise really but if you think it will be in her best interests to keep her indoors and where you can keep a closer eye on her then I think you should go with your instincts...I suppose regular sniffs at each other in the mean time could help with the bond after the winter...sorry hope that helps a little :D

I think at this point Cherry's welfare really has to come first, even if it means separating them. You can always rebond them afterwards if she recovers and gets the weight back on.

Or you could keep them together but feed Cherry separate, so you can be sure that Charlie isn't pigging out on her share?

It's really difficult to say what would be best. I take it Charlie's used to being outside more than in?

charlie's body is used to being an outdoor bunny, but his head says let me in let me it!!!

Personally, I'd probably bring him in, but I then wouldn't be happy to put him back out until the winter was over. The two lionhead does I rescued before Hope and Faith were outdoor buns and we brought them in to be house bunnies, and they didn't suffer at all (and they were rescued back in the middle of the time when we were getting all the frosts).

Perhaps try it, and see how Charlie copes with the added warmth, if you think you can convince OH to keep him in past the winter?

My gut instinct would be to keep them together, I've noticed that when one of my buns sits and eats hay, the other bun tends to copy so it's good for getting them to eat (and a big mound of hay means one can't hog it from the other ;) ) Can you hand-feed Cherry single pellets randomly throughout the day so that you know she's getting the food? That way Charlie won't be able to steal it so easily.

As for the lionhead issue, last year I brought my lionhead in to be a housebunny just before bonfire night - by that point there had already been a light snowfall even before Halloween so it was well into winter. From recollection, I just kept the heating off for a while longer and put on an extra jumper and she soon moulted her winter coat to adjust to being indoors and was fine.

Personally, I'd probably bring him in, but I then wouldn't be happy to put him back out until the winter was over. The two lionhead does I rescued before Hope and Faith were outdoor buns and we brought them in to be house bunnies, and they didn't suffer at all (and they were rescued back in the middle of the time when we were getting all the frosts).

Perhaps try it, and see how Charlie copes with the added warmth, if you think you can convince OH to keep him in past the winter?[/QUOTE]

Come one, you heard him shouting about the bunnies, the other Saturday, It will be bad enough convincing him with one, but at least she is sick. he doesn't get rabbits at all :( I say convincing, she is in now, and stopping for the winter, if she makes it.

Perhaps try it, and see how Charlie copes with the added warmth, if you think you can convince OH to keep him in past the winter?[/QUOTE]

Come one, you heard him shouting about the bunnies, the other Saturday, It will be bad enough convincing him with one, but at least she is sick. he doesn't get rabbits at all :( I say convincing, she is in now, and stopping for the winter, if she makes it.

I know - put the OH outside and bring both bunnies in!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Its not that he is food dominant, anything but, I was worrying about his weight a few weeks back too. I put his weight loss down to growing such a lovely thick winter coat.

Its just she is eating so slowly, and he eats at normal rate.

I t took me so long to bond them, it seems such a shame to waste it. Cherry is still eating, she hoovers pellets nad greens with vigour. After her first dental she did start eating hay too :D, its just she takes her time.

Since you have bought little Cherry in I think it is best to keep them separated. Perhaps you could let her out for a run with Charlie during the daytime for an hour - hopefully it will stay fairly mild as it has been.

Can you keep her in a non-heated room?

I have her in my box room, which I try not to heat, as my fish tank is on top of the radiator. so yes it is unheated. But I think she might be moved to the bathroom once her new crate is here. The crates foot print would take up all of the floor space and I wouldn't be able to get to the computer. :shock::shock:

Can you feed them separately if they live together? I have to separate my Floss and Dusk at meal times because she is a fatty who inhales her food and he is a slower eating dental bun and its worked well once I figured out what worked for them.

I had to bring a bunny in last winter and debated on the separating issue too (she had two bondfriends). In the end I brought them all in because bunnies can comfort ill bunnies in a way we can't and I couldn't bring myself to separate her (that's Summer-my cancer bun).

Having said that, that is based on what I would do for mine, and yours and your situation are different.

What does your gut instinct say about it?

Thank you to those who have PM'ed me

My instinct says to seperate :( I think it is best for them, but I am going to try and keep the bond going through regular meetings and see how it goes.

Both were flopped out last night, seperately, which is something I havn't seen happen for a while

I would agree with Sky-o. I would bring both bunnies in and put them in an un-heated room and give cherry some extra food to keep her going. Maybe reduce the pellets you give thm to share but give cherry extras on her own.

One of mine was alone at the shelter for a few months before I got her and she was just miserable despite having loads of human attention. She's had a new lease of life since being with other bunnies so I would never have a lone bunny again.

Good luck :wave:

If your instinct says to do that, then follow it because it won't lead you wrong. These are your buns and you know them best, so trust yourself.

Back