PDA

View Full Version : What Do You Put In Your Litter Trays??

rexy&coco
27-10-2009, 12:00 AM
WHAT DO YOU PUT IN YOUR LITTER TRAYS-
rexy has the smelliest wee ever:lol::lol::lol:
can i use anything to absorb the smell like cat litter or will my rexy eat it:rolleyes:

lottielouise
27-10-2009, 12:04 AM
I use megazorb which is wood pulp then the hay goes on top of it.

lildebs
hiya..I use the wood based pellets 8 for 30litre bag...it disintegrates to mush when they wee and is less smelly...ordinary cat litter I believe clay based can be toxic to rabbits...I'm sure someone else will confirm that..:D

biscandmatt1
i use newspaper, then megazorb, then hay on top of that! :wave:

Stator
27-10-2009, 12:05 AM
I use carefresh, it's supposed to absorb the odours too, I don't really notice much as they are outside. Carefresh is a good litter but it can be quite expensive if you use a lot.

angeleyes
27-10-2009, 12:05 AM

Ditto to this :D

Jaysmonkey
27-10-2009, 12:07 AM
I use Megazorb, carefresh then Soft hay on top.

tigerangel
27-10-2009, 12:35 AM
Just megazorb and a layer of cheap pet shop hay on top :) The hay gives them something to nibble on while they 'go' and also stops them realising they can dig in the megazorb :lol:

I did use something else previously, it was similar to Carefresh but I've forgotten the actual brand name, and I found foil-bits (like easter egg wrapper) compressed into it :? Definitly won't be using that brand again, even though I can't remember the name I'll know the bag when I see it and stay clear!

VickiP
27-10-2009, 12:53 AM
:wave: I use wood cat litter or wood shavings only under the hay ( large thick layer of hay on top ) I tried the carefresh for my rats when I first got them and all they did was sneeze and so did I - it does have a very fine mist of dust, I noticed a funny smell aswell, although I suppose if its under hay and only a bit to absorb wee wee it might not be noticable. I have never had any probs with wood pellets/wood shavings/ - its only a handful for me as I clean out everyday anyway and its no-where near the bunny as nice thick layer of hay on top :D

VickiP
27-10-2009, 12:53 AM
Whats megazorb like then?

holidayhutch
27-10-2009, 03:37 AM
We use megasorb and then top up with hay.:D

Vicki if you would like a small sample of megasorb to see what it is like, pm me your address and I will gladly send you some :)

Sam_Spice
27-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Megazorb only :wave: If hay falls from their hayracks (which are above the trays) then this too ;)

Wigs
27-10-2009, 08:43 AM

Me too! :D

I used to use EcoStraw from the Hay Experts available here (https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Litter.11/Eco-Straw.159.html?osCsid=lnae05dp7r786i6hgqp84e3cb6), which soaked up the wee better, so was less smelly (still lined with newpaper and topped with hay). However, stopped using it as Valentine was starting to show signs of her hocks wearing, so switched to Megazorb as it's softer for her little feet :)

...Plus the EcoStraw was pretty expensive! :shock::lol:

bunny babe
27-10-2009, 08:44 AM
:wave:Newspaper, then magazorb and then hay.

Bluesmum
27-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Whats megazorb like then?

It's really soft and great for wee soaking. I use it so I can give you a bag to see what you think. :wave:

Mackers
27-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Megazorb then hay for me too! Megazorb's great for absorbing all the wee and smells - but then again, mine are outdoor buns.

Charys
27-10-2009, 09:39 AM
So, do you get megazorb from your standard pet supply store ? Think I need to try this out.

Angie65
27-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Cat litter (woodbased), then hay on top:D

Bluesmum
27-10-2009, 09:53 AM
So, do you get megazorb from your standard pet supply store ? Think I need to try this out.

I get mine from an equestrian saddler. I know that the hayexperts do deliver though, cause I used to to get it from them till I realised they did it just down the road :roll:

Bunny Buddy
27-10-2009, 10:18 AM
I use Megazorb with Easibed on top. I used to use wood based cat litter which is much more expensive but it definitely combats the smell better than the megazorb.

DemiS
27-10-2009, 10:40 AM
I currently just use woodshavings, and a bit of hay near (Not actually where they 'go' as it gets soiled quickly when i put hay down).

Once I've used up these bags of woodshavings I'm switching to megazorb :)

Biscuit Bunny
27-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Just newspaper and loads of hay on top, I change twice a day.

Hoppit!
27-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Woodshavings, same as the rest of the hutch. I clean them every couple of hours though, so they never get really bad.

Elena
27-10-2009, 12:51 PM
The bonded three have to have P@H cat litter cos Mischa kicks it out, so they have that and then lots of hay on top. I can't put newspaper in cos then he digs to get to the newspaper. :roll:

Smudge has megazorb and then hay on top. I have loads of megazorb that I'm not going to be able to use up so if anyone wants some I can maybe fill some bags and send it off.

I don't actually change mine very often, the more often I change it the more Mischa digs. :roll: Plus there is so much hay on top their little bums and feet don't touch the dirty stuff.

Charys
27-10-2009, 01:43 PM
I clean them every couple of hours though

You clean out the litter trays every couple of hours ? WOW !

Amy104
27-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Megazorb or auboise, whichever of the two I can get at the time. The hay racks are hung above the trays.

sally1974
27-10-2009, 01:47 PM
I use wood based pellets:wave:

Hoppit!
27-10-2009, 01:59 PM
You clean out the litter trays every couple of hours ? WOW !

Yeah, not throughout the night though! :lol:

Cuz they eat only hay and veg they pee like there's no tomorrow! I can't leave them with wet trays, partly because of their sore hocks and partly because they little monkeys won't use them if they're too wet!

mimi75
27-10-2009, 02:10 PM
Hi I use bio-catolet, it's expensive at nearly a fiver for 10ltr but it's a paper litter.they have their hay in a seperate bowl cause one of thEm is definately E.C positive so I don't want them to eat any soiled hay.the trays still get pretty smelly tho & we go through alot of litter so I'm open to suggestions : ):wave:

Stephy
27-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi I use bio-catolet, it's expensive at nearly a fiver for 10ltr but it's a paper litter.they have their hay in a seperate bowl cause one of thEm is definately E.C positive so I don't want them to eat any soiled hay.the trays still get pretty smelly tho & we go through alot of litter so I'm open to suggestions : ):wave:

Ditto - I use this too, but with 3 litter trays (6 buns!) it does get a bit expensive.

donnamt
27-10-2009, 02:31 PM
just newspaper and hay

VickiP
27-10-2009, 03:04 PM
:wave:Thanks for the offers of Megazorb much appreciated and very kind, I will get some though, no worries and try it. I haven't got a hay rack either but, he has a very large tray and only uses one side so I am OK putting it on the other side for nibbling and thats changed at mealtimes anyway for fresh. Will get a couple of hayracks though like that:love:

KerryF
27-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I use wood pellets, not had a problem yet :)

Charys
27-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I can't leave them with wet trays, partly because of their sore hocks and partly because they little monkeys won't use them if they're too wet!

Ahhha, I see, so it's not because you have some sort of Obsession :lol: (as was my initial thought) My bunny is funny, if I clean his litter tray too frequently he stops using it !

RubyTed
27-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Woodshavings, same as the rest of the hutch. I clean them every couple of hours though, so they never get really bad.

:shock::shock::shock:...I won't be showing Teddy this!!!

I use carefresh on top of wood shavings (Ted doesn't dig) and then hay on top. I have never used Megazorb, but it seems FAR cheaper so I'm thinking about trying it soon (Carefresh is so expensive!!)

With Litter training I left Ted's trays for a whole week....It got him using it...but they were rather full! (Luckily he had a few...one left for a week with a Frenchie would NOT be nice!)