• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Do You Put In Your Litter Trays??

rexy&coco

Warren Scout
WHAT DO YOU PUT IN YOUR LITTER TRAYS-
rexy has the smelliest wee ever:lol::lol::lol:
can i use anything to absorb the smell like cat litter or will my rexy eat it:rolleyes:

hiya..I use the wood based pellets £8 for 30litre bag...it disintegrates to mush when they wee and is less smelly...ordinary cat litter I believe clay based can be toxic to rabbits...I'm sure someone else will confirm that..:D

I use carefresh, it's supposed to absorb the odours too, I don't really notice much as they are outside. Carefresh is a good litter but it can be quite expensive if you use a lot.

Just megazorb and a layer of cheap pet shop hay on top :) The hay gives them something to nibble on while they 'go' and also stops them realising they can dig in the megazorb :lol:

I did use something else previously, it was similar to Carefresh but I've forgotten the actual brand name, and I found foil-bits (like easter egg wrapper) compressed into it :? Definitly won't be using that brand again, even though I can't remember the name I'll know the bag when I see it and stay clear!

Last edited:
:wave: I use wood cat litter or wood shavings only under the hay ( large thick layer of hay on top ) I tried the carefresh for my rats when I first got them and all they did was sneeze and so did I - it does have a very fine mist of dust, I noticed a funny smell aswell, although I suppose if its under hay and only a bit to absorb wee wee it might not be noticable. I have never had any probs with wood pellets/wood shavings/ - its only a handful for me as I clean out everyday anyway and its no-where near the bunny as nice thick layer of hay on top :D

We use megasorb and then top up with hay.:D

Vicki if you would like a small sample of megasorb to see what it is like, pm me your address and I will gladly send you some :)

i use newspaper, then megazorb, then hay on top of that! :wave:

Me too! :D

I used to use EcoStraw from the Hay Experts available here, which soaked up the wee better, so was less smelly (still lined with newpaper and topped with hay). However, stopped using it as Valentine was starting to show signs of her hocks wearing, so switched to Megazorb as it's softer for her little feet :)

...Plus the EcoStraw was pretty expensive! :shock::lol:

Megazorb then hay for me too! Megazorb's great for absorbing all the wee and smells - but then again, mine are outdoor buns.

So, do you get megazorb from your standard pet supply store ? Think I need to try this out.

I get mine from an equestrian saddler. I know that the hayexperts do deliver though, cause I used to to get it from them till I realised they did it just down the road :roll:

I use Megazorb with Easibed on top. I used to use wood based cat litter which is much more expensive but it definitely combats the smell better than the megazorb.

Back