• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help with fur mites / walking dandruff please

Kermit

Wise Old Thumper
Herbie & Inca have fur mites!! ARRRGGGHHH!!

I was stroking Incas head on Sunday and i noticed dandruff, so i looked closer and i thought it was mites, so i checked Herbie.

He is even worse! Both their skin looks ok, not red, but they have quite a bit of dandruff.

I had Xeno from when i had kermit, so i put a sachet on each of them, but now after reading up about it ive realised that it wouldnt have been enough, they should have had that amount each, maybe even more for Inca. Will it be ok to put more on them just now or will i have to wait two weeks?

Also, should i be trying to groom them to get the mites out? I was thinking of puttin gthem in the shower cubicle and brushing them, that way the mites could be washed away afterwards?

What about the room they are in? I have washed all their blankets and rugs, chucked the rug from the cage and hoovered everywhere. Do i need to get mite spray for the room or will it be ok if i just keep hoovering?

I know im asking loads, but i want rid of these wee blighters!

When Sooty had fur mites she had a course of 3 injections at the vets and they cleared them up.

Thanks.
Ive given one sachet of Xeno 450 tho' i really need to know if i could give more, or even take to the vets for injections?
Anyone??

Can anyone help......please.
I know its like im hassling, but want to know if i can put more drops on my two, or if i should take them to the vets for the injection, and if i should be trying to brush the mites out.
ta x

Can anyone help......please.
I know its like im hassling, but want to know if i can put more drops on my two, or if i should take them to the vets for the injection, and if i should be trying to brush the mites out.
ta x

Don't know re chemical part but I'm sure brushing the mites out is good...

Think you use the drops on a 2 weeks cycle.Am treating B for ear mites & she had 3tubes 2 weeks ago & is due again tom but think will take her to vet tom & get her checked & maybe have the injection.Ask your vet if you can have the injection before the next 2week dose & see what they say.:)

Hello there!

My girls had walking dandruff around easter time this year and despite a course of three injections they failed to clear up. They were mainly along their backs and didn't appear under their tummies etc. The trickiest thing about clearing the mites up is that in their lifetime they are born and breed themselves, often resulting in two or three injections in order to catch the mums, dads and the kids !!!!! before any other eggs are laid...that's when I was given a medicated shampoo which I had to use once a week for three weeks and then I returned to the vets. Finally they had gone!

My vet advised me to freeze bags of hay before giving it to my bunnies because that's where the fur mites came from in our case (luckily we have an extra chest freezer in the garage!). By obviously freezing the hay it kills them off and stops a further lifecycle of mites. I have been doing that ever since and so far, so good!

As you say, washing everything extra regularly is also helpful because the mites will fall on things like blankets etc even though they can't actually live and survive there. They survive on the bunny by feeding on the dandruff they create and damaging the hair follicle and causing bald areas if left unchecked...horrid things!

Good luck, always feel free to PM me if you need any more help and the logistics of washing bunnies :shock: xx

PS - I think each injection should be given every ten to fourteen days but in that time hopefully you will start to see a difference...if not, that's when the shampoo might be better. It definitely worked for us! :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
I think ill phone the vets when it opens and tell them that i gave the two sachets and see if it would still be ok to get the injections.

Can mites live on humans? Usual thing where ive been googling it and there is conflicting info!

I'm not aware that they can live on humans, I never had a problem with them getting on me at all!

i've only had this prob with my guinea pigs i'm afraid so their dose was just one pipette immediately then 2 and 4 weeks later. i'm hoping this has got rid of the blighters but if not, i will try the injections.

i'm not aware of them being able to live on humans tho - i've never noticed any on me anyway:?

hope the vets can advise you quickly:D

Ive got an appointment for tomorrow night.
There were no double appointments available for tonight and they said that i would be as well waiting until i could get both seen together.
Herbie and Inca both seem ok, they are scoffing any food and hay and doing the toilet fine so should be ok until tomorrow.
Im going to brush the two of them when i get home and hoover like a woman possessed!

I had both my rabbits treated for fur mites a couple of months ago by a course of 3 injections (1 a week for 3 weeks) at vets. I hoovered and wiped down every surface in the house where the buns had been and also sprayed their hutches with Johnsons cage mite spray. I threw out any toys that could not be washed down and fingers crossed no re-infections so far! The vets said they will crawl on people but can't live/feed on us... itching typing this!:lol: But they can live on surfaces such as hutch/cage for up to 21 days!! So best to clean everything to make sure.

I had both my rabbits treated for fur mites a couple of months ago by a course of 3 injections (1 a week for 3 weeks) at vets. I hoovered and wiped down every surface in the house where the buns had been and also sprayed their hutches with Johnsons cage mite spray. I threw out any toys that could not be washed down and fingers crossed no re-infections so far! The vets said they will crawl on people but can't live/feed on us... itching typing this!:lol: But they can live on surfaces such as hutch/cage for up to 21 days!! So best to clean everything to make sure.

Thanks!
I cleaned the cage out and hoovered the floor in their room.....im going to hoover it every night now until the wee blighters are away!
Ill look for the cage mite spray, ta x

Back