• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stress - weight loss?

Dommy

Warren Scout
charlie had caught e-conicoli i think it is called, i had to give him panacur everyday for a month, and he really hated it, he would struggle so bad but obviously it had to be done, and since then he has lost weight, it has been steadily going down though. when on his medicine i did notice he wouldnt flop or lye down relaxed ofte atall and he wasnt eatin hay too well but he isnt the best hay eater anyways.

the vet on wednesday took another blood test but they think it might be his teeth as atm they are slightly sharp and she said it didnt look like he was cleaning himself too well, which could be due to his teeth cutting his gums and it being painfull for him.

but since wendesday he is off his panacur now, and he seems so much happier, today i got some yummy burns green oat hay for him and he goes mad for it, thanks to those who recommended that btw, but even before then ive noticed he cleaning himself more often and is very relaxed and eating the normal hay too. he ahs never been off of his veg and pellets though

could the stress of giving him panacur caused him to loose weight and all the rest described above?

Has he had blood tests to check his liver and kidneys are working properly?

If the E cuniculi has affected his balance or is making him less mobile he could simply be struggling to take in enough food to maintain his weight.

Or it may be down to the spurs on his teeth.

I hope the vet can make him better xx

yeah the blood tests are for his liver and kidney, though they found nothin over a month ago they wanna see if this has changed, he does seem slightly off balance in his cage, thefloor theyre on is slightly slipper, not laminate or anythin they don't struggle but occasionaly his feet will slide and it seems to take a while to bring them back underneath him. he seems fine gettin to his food and when hes out and about he'l run about chasing me around, doesnt seem offbalance while running or anything but i am worried it might have affected my little mans legs but after this 28 day course it should be gone? the others are still on thier course as i didnt manageto finish it with the others while on charlies.

Back