• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vet thinks Honey will need op on eyelids

binkacat

Young Bun
I've been back to the vet today with Honey and vet has decided that the eye ulcer has been caused by her lower eyelid turning in on itself. I've never noticed it do this before she got the ulcer but it has definetly been like this the last week. It doesn't do it all the time and if you pull it out it will stay out for ages.

The vet is giving her another week to see if it resolves by itself, if not will need an op. If she has the op they will also cut excess skin on both top eyelids back as these curl in/under all the time. But not as much and don'tseem o cause a problem.

I'm really worried, has anyone everhad to have this done for their bun before?

Will be £80, on top of the £55 I've already paid in the last week. Not sure where I will find money from. :cry:

One of my buns has had it done. The op went fine and there were no complications. I think it's becoming quite a common op in rabbits nowadays

The £80 for the op should prevent further £55 vets bills for the eye prob. I know its a lot of money - but will be worth it.

Thanks for the replies. Good to know its becoming a common op. Well, not good for all the buns, but good for my bun. I feel more reassured now.

Back