• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Difference

Doddy

Alpha Buck
between baytril and septrin????

what is the main difference between these two, and is one more preferable?

Troy has got a slight infection after his castration...one is still quite swollen :( and has to have septrin twice a day. the vet wants to see him again next week

They're just different antibiotics that work better on slightly different bacteria so it's not that one is preferable to the other - it depends on what it is being used for. Baytril is the only (or one of the only) systemic antibiotics licensed for use in rabbits, septrin is also commonly used though. It sounds as if your vet has just made a judgement call that septrin is more likely to be effective in this instance. Septrin is also easier to give to bunnies as it's banana flavoured!

They're just different antibiotics that work better on slightly different bacteria so it's not that one is preferable to the other - it depends on what it is being used for. Baytril is the only (or one of the only) systemic antibiotics licensed for use in rabbits, septrin is also commonly used though. It sounds as if your vet has just made a judgement call that septrin is more likely to be effective in this instance. Septrin is also easier to give to bunnies as it's banana flavoured!

Tell me about it!! Troy sucks it out of the syringe!!!! I was dreading having to give him meds, as i had such a hard time getting meds into roxy, but this was so easy...i wondered why!!!

Troy isn't ill with it or anything, it's just a swelling they felt needed treating, so fingers crossed it works

Back