• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

no winter coat...

coco1200

Warren Veteran
I am getting worried now. Noisette has been with me for 4 months now, living as an outdoor bun, and there are no signs what so ever of her getting a winter coat through. Oscar has a full fleece already, and he looks massive and puffy compared to her.

On top of that, I think her abcess is back, and I have noticed she has lost weight again, even considering she is eating like a horse, getting banana and barley rings every day. Will visit the vet, but I think I will need to start injecting her with abx's again :(.

Can all this be related by any chance? her abcess and weight loss with the lack of a winter coat? What can I do about her coat, get a dog jacket or something? :? (I am not joking either... I am really concerned about it!). I am already putting in tonnes of hay, and 2 snugglesafes in her enclosure... I've given her pillows and towels too to lay on as well!

Just a thought..it may be best to take her to the vets again as it sounds like she has several problems,but it occurred to me,she maybe so warm with the snuggles,that its not encouraging the winter coat to come???:wave:

ohhh, I hope its not several problems, she has been through so much already :cry: I thought the weight loss would have been caused by the abcess? She has a small lump again where it was last time again too, thats why I think its back...

She is a free range bun, so is constantly out in the garden. She munches on grass all day, but only sits on the snugglesafes at night when she is locked up! She seems okay, but I am just worried that she might be cold when she is free ranging outside! I might just be completley daft though!

I have no idea...bless her.Im not very experienced to be honest,but got everything crossed.xx

Im so sorry to hear about Noisette.Did your vet take a swab of the abscess to see which bacteria was involved?Some of my buns have responded well to ceporex.If she is fighting an underlying illness this maybe why her Winter coat hasnt come through.My boy Blue never seems to moult much but he changes colour and I find fine fur on the shed floor in the morning.Sending massive vibes for your beautiful girl,Janak

thanks alot guys :love:
Sarah, there was a reason why the vet said there was no way she would operate on her, but I can't remember the reason :? Of course, now she is 'better' it might be different. She has been treated on Baytril injections everyday and penicillin injections every other day, which proved very successful! As soon as the baytril came in, her abcess reduced dramatically within a week.

But she is still herself, running, eating, pooing and weeing like normal, but I hope its nothing more serious...

xx

That sounds very positive:DFingers crossed for your beautiful girl.I must admit when my vet operated on Maizey and Barlies abscesses they seemed to spread like wild fire

Back