• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

suspected liver tumour

mimi75

Alpha Buck
hello everyone,my little moo suddenly became quiet&lethargic last week,so i took her straight to the vets.they kept her in,checked her teeth(even gave them a little file down on one side)took xrays & bloods.she came home on friday with domperidone &streptocare jabs,i am also giving her metacam.we had another check-up today& the bloods confirmed that her liver is not functioning properly.she is slightly jaundice,although her weight hasn't dropped &she definately seems brighter at the minute.ruth said she will ask Mrs H-B to look over the results too.although her xrays were 'clear' they are leaning more towards it being a liver tumour.as a precaution ruth gave her one of her jabs to cover coccidiosis.i know nothing is certain& ruth is happy that she has a good quality of life for the time being,but i just feel so sad.she is 6 but i was hoping to have many more happy years together.we have another appointment on thursday to check her progress.i just wondered if anyone could offer their experiences of similar situations.i know it sounds silly because if it is a tumour ,then the outcome is clear,but i just don't know what to expect or how long we have.anyones advice or experiences would be a comfort.thankyou.x:(

I'm sorry.

Please try not to panic about it though (although easier said than done). It might be worth searching the forum for liver problems because a lot will come up with some useful suggestions.

My Summer had cancer and it did spread to her liver. She never actually had a problem with her liver, despite her bloods being horrendous. She eventually succumbed to her lungs being cancer riddled. The only issue she had with the liver with she couldn't maintain her weight, but we kept that up by using Nutrical, which worked brilliantly for her.

The liver can function when a lot of it is in trouble, so if it is a tumour that is not necessarily horrendous news.

Have they done an ultrasound scan on her?

To be fair, you're in the best hands possible, so that might also bring some comfort for you.

thankyou.i trust them completely,they are amazing vets.i'm not aware they have done an ultra sound but cannot be sure.even they cannot be sure about a tumour without taking a look inside which they are reluctant to do,so are we as it can only confirm a diagnosis not cure.it's just lovely to be able to come on here& get your feelings off your chest with people who really understand,so thankyou.

My rabbit Poppy was diagnosed with a tumour in her liver last October and is doing amazingly well. She did lose a bit of weight and her coat went a bit tatty but her weight is now stable. She has 1 drop of metacam per day. I will probably get shot down for saying this on here, but.... I did not want to go down the route of operations etc. My rabbit is stable and enjoying her life. She is aged 8 1/2 years and when the time comes I will let her go peacefully.

If your rabbit has got a tumour they might have years ahead of them. You will know them best and know if they are suffering. Fingers crossed that things are manageable.

Hi im really glad your bunny is doing so well.our vet told us that an operation would simply diagnose the condition so at this moment I don't see it as an option to operate. if it would save her life then we wouldn't hesitate but sadly it won't.we just want want to get her stabilized & keep her comfortable for as long as possible.I hope your bunny continues to do well.

well we have another check-u with ruth tomorrow so i'm hoping all goes well.ruth also has some concerns with moos urine.she said it is was too clear and has since turned illuminous yellow.today her urine is a very strong orange/rust colour,i know the urine can be affected by certain foods(i.e carrots)and moo gets a carrot a day to share with bob(amongst a pile of other veggies!)but this is an excessive change in colours so i can't help but assume it is connected to her health at the mo.poor little moomin,she seems quite perky for the time being.i will wait and see what tomorrow brings:(

Back