• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The skin under the chin, what's it called?!

LoopyLouie

Wise Old Thumper
Hi all!

My friend is thy thinking about adopting two buns from our local pets at home but is concerned about the size of the flaps of skin under their chins. Could this just be that they are overweight? Or a sign of other problems?

:wave:Dewlap - I think the dewlap varies at different times in females (unneutered) and phantom pregnancies etc-I had a female who had a couple of phantoms not long after I got her and her dewlap seemed to be slightly bigger and she pulled fur from it for a nest. I'm not that experienced and I am sure more knowlegeable people will advise but, I did think that it could be the sign of being a bit overweight aswell if very large????

It's called a dewlap.
Most doe's have one, and the more overweight the rabbit the bigger the dewlap. Overweight males sometimes get one too.

Sometimes when doe's are spayed the dewlap shrinks a little :wave:

Some rabbits seem to be genetically programmed to have large dewlaps, even if they are slim or healthy, so there can be many causes for them.

My most recent foster came to me emaciated (and spayed a few months previous) with a HUGE dewlap :lol: She looked odd.

In our house though they are called 'A Plush' :lol:

Last edited:
Do you mean like Princess in my Sig, She had a huge dewlap, but she was still within here weight range. It is often in un neutered females, that you see them most.

Although saying that 2 un neutered females sounds like a recipe for disaster! Did she ask about them, or was just looking? maybe they are a little over weight too

This is my daughters rabbit Honey, as you can see her dewlap doubles as a pillow:lol:
HunnyBunny021.jpg

DSCF0100.jpg

My Inca has quite a big dewlap, she is no way overweight and she has been neutered, although she wasnt neutered until after the dewlap appeared.

Its fine as long as bunsters can manage to clean themselves ok and it not be in the way.

Inca's is quite cute cos its kinda lop sided as she grooms her 'bits' leaning to the one side - hehe.

If they get way too big and are preventing the bunny from normal grooming then they can be surgically removed.

Some rabbits seem to be genetically programmed to have large dewlaps, even if they are slim or healthy, so there can be many causes for them.

My most recent foster came to me emaciated (and spayed a few months previous) with a HUGE dewlap :lol: She looked odd.

In our house though they are called 'A Plush' :lol:

Mischa has an odd dewlap, it's like a flap, rather than a pillow, he's had it ever since his head tilt. I think the skin got stretched when his head was twisted.

Mischa has an odd dewlap, it's like a flap, rather than a pillow, he's had it ever since his head tilt. I think the skin got stretched when his head was twisted.

Yes, my Tilly has one of those too, only I don't know when she developed it. Looks very strange on her.

Maybe its the fashion for head tilt buns.

My brothers rabbit Harry is male and has one, at one point he was overweight, then he went on a diet and his dewlap refused to leave! :lol:.

Lola had one when she was younger but not now she doesn't really! :) She's never been overweight, more hormonal with her! :lol:

from this
loli124.jpg

to this
SDC10772.jpg

I don't think a large dewlap is any thing to worry about.

Tilly has one, which you can sort of see in this photo:

114.jpg

I think they are so that nesting does can pull fur from them to line the nest, at least that was what I was always told...

Yes, my Tilly has one of those too, only I don't know when she developed it. Looks very strange on her.

Maybe its the fashion for head tilt buns.

Bless em. It's like a proud scar. "I had EC and I beat it" :thumb:

Back