PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hutch Company

Ralph
26-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Following on from my previous posts, I am looking for a new hutch for Ralph (dwaf), I cant afford too much but want one which is well made, big enough for him and safe from foxes and rain proof. I have been having a look at the Happy Hutch Company and I like these......

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/details.php?product=22

Which size would be best,I am guessing the biggest one they have but thats not practical :cry: also is it of any benefit to the Rabbit at all to have one on tall legs?

Also are they easy to fix together?!:wave:

Jack-Bun
26-10-2009, 03:40 PM
6ft x 2ft x 2ft - MINIMUM :)
Having it on tall legs isn;t really practical to a rabbit, because there would need to be a permanent run attached to that size hutch :)

Amy104
26-10-2009, 04:04 PM
The recomended is 6x2x2. Hutches only need to be raised a couple of inches off the ground to keep up the damp. I imagine long legs is more for the owner - i.e to save bending all the time - rather than a necessity for the bun.

KarenM
26-10-2009, 06:20 PM
They're quite easy to assemble. :) Low legs mean they're very hard to clean out, but if they're close to the floor, the bunnies can just hop in and out if you have a run attached.

Is there a reason why the biggest size isn't practical? Ideally 6x2x2 should be the minimum, but if you want a slightly smaller hutch (5x2x2) to put into a larger enclosure, then that would be ok too.

Bunny Buddy
26-10-2009, 06:44 PM
I just thought it was worth mentioning, a member of our forum (Clutterydrawer) lost her precious bunnies when a fox broke into a Happy Hutch, so they are not fox proof. She wrote to them expressing her concerns and, as I remember it, they didn't even bother to respond :cry: If you get a Happy Hutch it will need some modifications to make it fox proof.

dorsetguy
26-10-2009, 06:53 PM
This firme which has a shop on Ebay, looks good value

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230349172896&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3D R40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m38.l1313%26_nkw%3D230349172 896%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

FEATURES:

JUST LOOK AT THE PICTURES YOU CAN SEE FOR YOURSELF THE QUALITY OF THE RABBIT HUTCH

Animal welfare act compliant
Conforms to RSPCA guidelines
Double hutch each hutch is 6ft x 20" x 2ft
Sturdy Construction all solid T&G Timber (except back panel)
QUALITY JOINTED TIMBERS (NO BUTT JOINT OR STAPLES)
DRIED FIR WOOD (TONUGE & GROOVED WILL NOT DISTORT OR ROT)
Solid wood Flooring
WIND & PREDATOR PROOF
SLOPING FELT ROOF
ALL ENTRANCE DOORS HAVE TWO METAL SLIDING BOLTS
ATTACHEE LOCK TO THE HINGED LID
LOCKING STAY TO LID
BLACK COATED FLOORING
BLACK PPC WIRE (SECIALLY FORMULATED FOR RABBITS WILL NOT RUST)
5" LEGS WITH FULLY ADJUSTABLE RUBBER FEET

#
POSTAGE: UK MAINLAND 24.95
#

They selling this one for 114.95

Or why not look into local person small time carpenter, get one made to what you want, I had a guy make one for me, amazing 6ft x 2.5 foot hight and just over 2 foot deep, with build in under run, 169 and he deliverd it too!

Ralph
26-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the replies, esp the fox proof advice!

Its not practical as it will go in the garage and space is limited, he wont have an attached run as he has a seperate run for the day :)