• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

What should I do if my rabbit has diarrhea?

rabbitlover83

Young Bun
My rabbit has diarrhea, and I want to try and help him myself before taking him to the vet and paying $300+ to find out he's just been drinking a lot of water lately or something.

this can be very serious in rabbit particuly if accute leading to severe dehyradtion.

how old is the rabbit? how long have you had him/her?
is he/she still eating/drinking
has there been a change in diet?
is his/her stomach bloated?

Do you know what caused the diarrhoea? To be honest though, even if you do know, I really there is no option but to go to the vets incase its something that could be fatal.

Really though I think your bun needs a vet.

While you wait for the appointment you can use pedialyte to rehydrate him (offer it in a bowl in addition to some regular water too), or syringe some cooled boiled water.

Please update us when you can.

You can try and syringe some cooled peppermint or nettle tea, this can help hydrate.

But I agree with the others, your bun needs to see a vet as diarrhoea can be extremely serious.

If it's just having a runny bottom it can help to take away all of its food other than hay (No pellets or vegetables) for a few days till it passes.

Also Blueberries/blueberryplants are said to work well.

I took my bunny to the vet yesterday, he said it's because of the fibers in the apples. And that he should have solid little poop by now, and he does! Thank God.

you can always give him/her weetabix to help with the fibre never met a bun that can resist them:D Arrowroot is also a way to bind when they are having diarrohea but i wouldnt recomend this unless you are experianced in how much you need to give

If your bunny has normal firm waste poops as well as squidgy ones, you can help with diet.
If there are no normal poops, or there are liquid (brown watery) poops your bunny needs to see a vet ASAP.

Back