• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can you bond a widowed male piggy with another male?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I have a feeling my friends rabbit killed one of her guinea pigs. She refuses to seperate them because she thinks they will be 'depressed' with out each other. She wont pay any attention when i tell her they can't communicate.

Anyway, so now she has a single male piggy. Could she bond him with another single male from a group, or would it have to be another widowed piggy, or none at all?

EDIT: Sorry, I know this is rabbit chat but i know a lot of you have guinea pigs, and I don't have a clue about them :lol:

The answer is yes she could,But she shouldnt in my advice its very unfair on the piggies:( if she isnt going to take the rabbit out

The answer is yes she could,But she shouldnt in my advice its very unfair on the piggies:( if she isnt going to take the rabbit out

Why would it be unfair if the piggy was re-bonded to another male? If she did this, she would take away the rabbit.

Btw, the guinea pig is un-neutered

Why would it be unfair if the piggy was re-bonded to another male? If she did this, she would take away the rabbit.

Btw, the guinea pig is un-neutered

I thought you said in the other thread she wouldnt take the rabbit out:? There is no problem introducing a new male as long as its a baby neutering doesnt change there behaviour anyway

I thought you said in the other thread she wouldnt take the rabbit out:? There is no problem introducing a new male as long as its a baby neutering doesnt change there behaviour anyway

She wouldn't when they were alive, and she only wont now because she things the piggy will be lonely without the rabbit. If she bonds her guinea pig with another then she'll remove the rabbit.

That single pig needs to be removed from the rabbit hutch NOW before it lands up the same as her other one :(. We have 2 male guinea pigs living quite happily with one another.

I have bonded un-related male piggies and have had good success matching an adult with a baby. A friend of mine has also successfully bonded adults but if you choose this option you need to know the piggies personalities well so you can match a dominant and submissive piggy. With the baby option there is less competion initially as normally the baby is happy for the older pig to rule to roost.

As already said though you only want to match him up if she is seperating them from the rabbit.

Back