• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

rabbit just gave birth to dead baby now dont know what to do plz help

babbit

Young Bun
ok first of all im new :wave:
and im sorry if ive posted in the wrong place :?
we have 2 rabbits a male and female
and yesterday my husband found a 'nest'in the hutch and the female panting so we brought her indoors and search the internet on advice
ok so she was 'with child'
the bad news she gave birth this afternoon and the baby rabbit was dead:cry:
so we've removed it but now the female which as been kept in a huge box with a nest with lots of bedding,hey,straw and cotton wool keeps going to the door and wanting to go out
we've let her out and put the male back in the hutch
hes going mad to get out but then to our surpire the female is tiring to get in the hutch to him :roll:

the question is what do we do for the best
do we put them back in the hutch TOGETHER
just put the female in there
leave the male in there and keep her indoors

please some advice on whats best FOR HER

will he try and hurt her,mate again or do they just miss each other

im ringing the vets in the morning to get(mario)the male done:shock:
any advice on that?will he be ok after?will he be the same as befor
im not breeding them to be honest we were told they were both females lol

i just dont want her to go through this again but i also dont want them to be any different with us or together

suggest u contact one of the many rescues on here who have cared for female buns after a birth, who could give you advice.
perhaps let her go back to the nest in case there are other babies you have missed in there and also she will feel more cosy? (this is my unqualified advice as i have never had experience of a mother rabbit with stillborn. )

I have heard they can get pregnant again straight after the birth so male mst stay apart.

I'm sorry for your loss of baby bun and hope others will come on here to help you and give you advice. -Sue:wave:

PS this means keeping the male away from her even until you see vet re neutering

Hopefully when they have both been neutered you will be able to rebond them as a loving couple:)

Last edited:
I've had all my male rabbits neutered and they are lovely. They are less wound up and very calm and friendly. Don't worry - he will be ok and then after 6 weeks they can live together again. See if someone on here can recommend a good vet in your area.

Sorry that this has happened, it must have been horrible :( As others have said, definately do not let the male anywhere near the female and get him neutered asap. I have had males neutered and their personality has never changed :wave: Hope your little girl bun is ok :)

suggest u contact one of the many rescues on here who have cared for female buns after a birth, who could give you advice.
perhaps let her go back to the nest in case there are other babies you have missed in there and also she will feel more cosy? (this is my unqualified advice as i have never had experience of a mother rabbit with stillborn. )

I have heard they can get pregnant again straight after the birth so male mst stay apart.

I'm sorry for your loss of baby bun and hope others will come on here to help you and give you advice. -Sue:wave:

PS this means keeping the male away from her even until you see vet re neutering

Hopefully when they have both been neutered you will be able to rebond them as a loving couple:)

im keeping her indoors for now with her nest and where shes safe from mario lol
im only getting the male done im not putting her through that

I've had all my male rabbits neutered and they are lovely. They are less wound up and very calm and friendly. Don't worry - he will be ok and then after 6 weeks they can live together again. See if someone on here can recommend a good vet in your area.

thank you hun,i dont want him or them to be away from each other for long they lov each other bless them

ive heard what dogs are like after being neutered rabbits dont go like that do they(bad moods and not jumping around)

Sorry that this has happened, it must have been horrible :( As others have said, definately do not let the male anywhere near the female and get him neutered asap. I have had males neutered and their personality has never changed :wave: Hope your little girl bun is ok :)

thank you
ya it wasnt nice at all:cry:
just feel for the female shes going mad to get to the male

My rabbits have been fantastic. The boys have all been like little teddy bears. It been the best thing to do because it has enabled them to live with another rabbit for companionship. Hope you stay on here because there is some excellent advice.

I would keep a close eye on her. If she has been with him a lot then one baby is unlikely and more may be on the way, or she may be having difficulties. Right now, how is she acting, is she eating, drinking, pooing, weeing?

Also, was the baby long, like a pencil? Or massive?

It might be worth finding a rabbit savvy vet to do your neuter. Its also important to remember that he will be fertile for 8 weeks after the neuter so you have to keep them separate long term.

In terms of spaying her, that is entirely your choice, but unspayed females have a roughly 80% chance of developing hormonal cancers (and other uterine problems) so would have an 80% chance of needing to be spayed anyway, and would also then be done whilst in a compromised condition. If you get her spayed whilst she is healthy, by a rabbit savvy vet then the risks are minimal, and it will be better and easier for her and she will probably be happier too, and rebonding her and Mario will also probably be easier.

ETA, the reason she is going crazy to get to him is because rabbits are most receptive to breeding in the first 72 hours after giving birth, so basically, she wants to mate again.

How sad for you and poor mum bun. Definitely keep them apart. If you are not going to have your girlie bun speyed at the same time then you must keep your boy away from her for 6 weeks after his neuter otherwise he can still get her pregnant.
Obviously it is completely your choice but I think the stats are something like 80% of domestic unspeyed does over 5 yrs old have uterine cancer. It is a big killer of female bunnies. So it is worth looking at the pros and cons.
Your boy should be fine after his neuter, I have had loads of boys done and a few hours after the op they are right as rain. It is much easier for boys than girls.
Good luck x
ETA: Sky-O posted as I was writing. Completely agree with all she said :thumb:

Everything everyone has said. I would definately take her to the vets in the moringin as babies may be stuck inside her, and just to give her the all clear.

But another point about leaving females unneutered is that they have phantom pregnancies, so go into nesting mode, are very territorial during that time, and it can last for upto two weeks, and recur 4-6 weeks, which is something that worried me about one of my girls.

Also as the male has no hormones and she does it changes the realtionship. Autumn humped Charlie mercliessly, before I got her spayed. Charlie is so laid back, but others might not be so lucky, and the male will turn on the female :(

If you still have reservations about neutering your female, ask you vet, see how many they do? etc, Im sure they will put your mind at rest

I would keep a close eye on her. If she has been with him a lot then one baby is unlikely and more may be on the way, or she may be having difficulties. Right now, how is she acting, is she eating, drinking, pooing, weeing?

Also, was the baby long, like a pencil? Or massive?

It might be worth finding a rabbit savvy vet to do your neuter. Its also important to remember that he will be fertile for 8 weeks after the neuter so you have to keep them separate long term.

In terms of spaying her, that is entirely your choice, but unspayed females have a roughly 80% chance of developing hormonal cancers (and other uterine problems) so would have an 80% chance of needing to be spayed anyway, and would also then be done whilst in a compromised condition. If you get her spayed whilst she is healthy, by a rabbit savvy vet then the risks are minimal, and it will be better and easier for her and she will probably be happier too, and rebonding her and Mario will also probably be easier.

ETA, the reason she is going crazy to get to him is because rabbits are most receptive to breeding in the first 72 hours after giving birth, so basically, she wants to mate again.

im not 100% clued up on rabbits,we had them when i was younger but they were all girls

the baby was very long but not pencil like it looked like a sassage
and i think she was in labour since 6pm yestersday(saturday)and when she was pushing baby out it was half in/out for about 5mins and when we removed it because she just sat there not doing anything we showed her the baby which she licked when starting eating her feed
but on a closer look I think baby was not formed right but husband said thats what they look like and think princess was biting the baby to pull it out of her(1 side of the baby face was raw(no skin)

shes in the conserv right now in a box that she can get out of and shes weeing and pooing but its the runns and shes drinking water from a bowl and from husbands finger(shes lovely)

im abit worried now do you think there could be more?

Hi:wave: I am new here too, really sorry to hear about what has happened but, thankfully you still have your doe, I would have to agree that I would be getting her examined by the vet ASAP as one kit is unusual. Did you see a placenta at all? Or did she eat it? Just out of interest how old are they? I also think you'd be better getting them both neutered although I can see where your coming from it's hard....tell yourself 'cruel to be kind'. I also know what you mean about them fighting to get to each other - this happened with mine and sadly I gave in and although they were supervised they disappeared literally out of sight for no more than a couple of mins and I was there - my little male still managed to get my doe pregnant - sadly I think she was too old and I lost her :cry: (on my intro page). I think under the circumstances you are coping really well and now your on here aswell your gonna be fine, very best of luck x

just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to you all xx
ok im going to ring my vets in the morning and get mario in
just a few more questions please!

1,if i get both done will mario still try it on with princess?
2,because shes just gave birth will she be ok to have it done too?
3,after they have it done when can they go back together and will things be the same?

and 4,the last time i took mario to the vets he told me mario was not a mario but a princess:evil: and thats why im sat here in a sate not knowing what to do

im not 100% clued up on rabbits,we had them when i was younger but they were all girls

the baby was very long but not pencil like it looked like a sassage
and i think she was in labour since 6pm yestersday(saturday)and when she was pushing baby out it was half in/out for about 5mins and when we removed it because she just sat there not doing anything we showed her the baby which she licked when starting eating her feed
but on a closer look I think baby was not formed right but husband said thats what they look like and think princess was biting the baby to pull it out of her(1 side of the baby face was raw(no skin)

shes in the conserv right now in a box that she can get out of and shes weeing and pooing but its the runns and shes drinking water from a bowl and from husbands finger(shes lovely)

im abit worried now do you think there could be more?

I think you need to get your bunny checked out ASAP because that is one long labour. The fact she is lively is good but things like infection and bleeding can take a while to show up. A normal bunny labour takes roughly 20 mins. It sounds like this baby was a stuck kit and probably too large for her to pass. It may also have suffocated in the canal. She needs to be checked for any more kits and also any uterine problems. Did she pass the placenta? When you say you removed it, do you mean from her, or from her nest?

just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to you all xx
ok im going to ring my vets in the morning and get mario in
just a few more questions please!

1,if i get both done will mario still try it on with princess?
2,because shes just gave birth will she be ok to have it done too?
3,after they have it done when can they go back together and will things be the same?

and 4,the last time i took mario to the vets he told me mario was not a mario but a princess:evil: and thats why im sat here in a sate not knowing what to do

1, Possibly, depending on whether it is hormones or dominance that makes him hump her. It will probably ease though.

2, She shouldn't be spayed until she is fully healed and recovered. It will also depend on her age as to when she should be done.

3, You will need to rebond them back together, and this should be after the girl has completely healed and recovered from her spay.

4, Gender fairys often strike bunnies. If you don't trust your vet then maybe have a look for another?

Also the vet told me they are very secretive about giving birth and not too put lights on as the babies can be blinded! I would say if you could tempt her with some lovely goodies to check she is eating it might be worth leaving her in the dark to be quiet and just check discretely on her now and again or ring the emergency vet I am not really experienced enough to advise you but, the surgery will tell you the best way forward. Fingers crossed for you x

Back