• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stupid Question re: teeth!

GBNI

Warren Scout
How do vets check bunnies teeth and what are they looking for? I have seen 'burs' (I think that's right?) being mentioned, but not sure what this means?

Thanks! :D

They can check the front teeht just by looking at them.

To check the back teeth they use an instrument similar to the doctor when he looks in our ears and looks at the molars in the mouth. If there are noticeable points on them (AKA spurs) then these will need sorting, and the current way is to effectively wear them down (or 'bur' them) to allow the rabbit to eat properly again.

ETA http://community.livejournal.com/bunnyowners/2841528.html This link shows some spurs before being burred and then the teeth after the burring/dental.

Thanks for your help :)

Should I be asking my et to check my buns teeth on a regular basis like you would with a horse or just if they look like they're having issues eating?

There is no harm having them checked at times like for vaccinations, but it's not worth getting it done unless you know your bun has a problem, or if you suspect a problem.

I have 10 dental bunnies but only one ever gets problems with food, it is possible to pick it up before then if you get to know their behaviour and how their tummy feels. When it feels doughy then the gut is slowing down, and for most of mine that means they need a dental because they are eating less hay (which is not always obvious to me). The sooner it is picked up and sorted, the less damage it generally does to the mouth and the surrounding teeth which would hopefully mean no further complex problems arise from it, such as abscesses.

There is no harm having them checked at times like for vaccinations, but it's not worth getting it done unless you know your bun has a problem, or if you suspect a problem.

Just wanted to clarify that what I meant was you don't need to make additional appointment specifically for it unless you think there is a problem or your bun has a history. Sorry if that wasn't clear before.

they can check in the front part of the mouth and in the mouth at the back with the little torch thingy for the teeth causing issues but i think the back ones that they cant see need to be done when the rabbit is unconcious/sedated.

last time Alvin had stasis the vet said he didnt beleive his back teeth needed checked because he had none of the indications of teeth issues, he did list quite a few indications of problem back teeth but the only one i remember is excess saliva in the mouth :oops::oops:

Vets also look at the teeth's alignment. Ideally, a rabbit’s teeth should have top incisors slightly overlapping the bottom set. If the incisors touch instead of overlap the rabbit is considered to have “butting teeth”.Such teeth should be examined by a vet for possible clipping.

Mine have their teeth checked when they have their 6 monthly myxo jabs.
If you bunny is dribbling, finding it difficult to eat food, change in their poos, eating less etc, it may be worth having their teeth checked.
As long as they're eating lots and lots of good quality hay, you should be fine though. We've managed to keep Salt's spurs at bay for a couple of years by just making sure he eats lots of hay.

Back