• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artie - bladder sludge. Post 85 He's home :)

Bunny Buddy

Wise Old Thumper
Artie has just refused his dinner :cry::cry:

Two months since he last had an off day, I hope he picks up soon, Why oh why does it have to be a Sunday:cry::cry:

At the moment he's not behaving like he has bloat, just refusing food, he's been really bright and bouncy right up to me nipping to Tesco 1/2 hour ago.

Any quick recovery vibes would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Thanks guys :love:

I don't know how anybody copes with the stress of multiple poorly bunnies this is stressing me no end. :cry::cry:

I wish he could tell me what's wrong, he just had a quick preen so he doesn't seem really ill, just refusing his favourite foods. I've chased him round a bit in case it is bloat but other than that I'm just monitoring him at the moment.

I'm even in a dilemma as to which vet to whisk him to should the need arise - I'm so convinced I'll get it wrong whatever I do.:cry::cry::cry:

I'm wondering about giving him some Metacam, I do know he's eaten well this morning.

His Auntie Frances says I can give him 5 drops in this situation - do you guys usually just give it neat or mix it with water/juice etc?

He's produced some pretty nasty soft poo on and off for the last week or so but some fanstastic golden poos as well, he's seemed absolutely fine, been eating fantastically. It sounds *maybe* like there's a bacterial upset? I probably should have given him some Fibreplex mid-week, I'm so scared of failing him :cry:

He's just sat like he normally would at the moment, only know there's something wrong because he hasn't eaten.

I've just failed miserably at giving him the Metacam (he's so squrimy, never bites or stratches but very strong at getting away).

He's therefore had another good chase round. To me he doesn't feel bloated and he looks quite bright at the moment. He's been grooming the heatpad :roll:

Now he's laid down ... he's just done a couple of "happy flops (but not)" like when he previously had bloat, so it's looking likely :?

Hope he is ok. I used to tempt Rodney with dandelions when he was off colour - they cured most things. Hope little Artie gets better quickly.

If you do whatever you think is best for him then you won't fail him.

I wonder if pulling him back to hay and water and a probiotic for a few days might help.

Do you know what causes these episodes?

If he will take any sort of juice from a syringe could you mix any remaining Metacam with that and try and give it that way?

If you do whatever you think is best for him then you won't fail him.

I wonder if pulling him back to hay and water and a probiotic for a few days might help.

Do you know what causes these episodes?

If he will take any sort of juice from a syringe could you mix any remaining Metacam with that and try and give it that way?

Thanks

I should have done the hay, water probiotic a week a go, I'm so stupid, I did see there was something not right but his diet hadn't changed so no idea why the change in poo. I should of cause have done this before he stopped eating :cry:

I'm just not good at getting a syringe into his mouth, I doubt it would matter what was in it :? I've also got some gripe water in for this reason, I think I need to try again. I'll get the gripe water ready in case I have any success with the metacam.

Edit to add: He says 'no' to dandelions as well :cry:

Last edited:
Poor Artie. :( Don't blame yourself Alison; it's very hard to get it right all the time & you did what you thought was best at the time.

What happens if you just offer him the syringe, not try and force it in him? That can sometimes make a difference.

You did the best you could at the time, which is all anyone can do. You weren't to know he would go off his food.

It could be many things that triggered this, like vaccinations, a rough moult, stress, etc, not just food, so hindsight might help you figure out what went on for him.

You're doing the right things, and we are here with you. :)

What happens if you just offer him the syringe, not try and force it in him? That can sometimes make a difference.

You did the best you could at the time, which is all anyone can do. You weren't to know he would go off his food.

It could be many things that triggered this, like vaccinations, a rough moult, stress, etc, not just food, so hindsight might help you figure out what went on for him.

You're doing the right things, and we are here with you. :)

He saw FHB for his myxi jab on 6 October, so not particularly recently. She is convinced that his episodes are not related to food issues and much more likely to do with moult (which he seems to do constantly). There's no stringy poo though the round ones look perfect :?

Edit to add:
I've just tried the metacam again and all I'm doing is stressing him :cry:

Last edited:
With the last set of myxi vaccs mine had I had two who had it around their moutling time and they had excess cecals, with one leading the cecal dysbiosis for a while after, until I pulled her back onto hay and water with probiotics, then she settled. Maybe its a mix of two very stressful things on the system. It might not be the fur ingested, more the stress the body goes through when its moulting.

Why not give him a break and give yourself a break. Does he have anything he really loves doing or playing with? Or anything he loves you doing to him? If so, maybe go with that for a while, and then decide on the Metacam later. Remember, even though its really hard, keep yourself as calm and relaxed as possible because the worse you feel, the worse he will feel.

not again :(:(:( i hate the heart stopping day when these bloody bunnies refuse food :cry:

last time alvin had a scare i instantly got gripe water, metacam and 1/8th of a gut stimulant tab into him and left the drugs to work. 3 hours later he was fine :D i also told the vet to put it on his record so that they too have a true record of Alvins episodes.

hope its just a bit of gas, sending loads of vibes xxxx

How are his tushypegs? It may be that he's in a bit of pain with spurs or something?
He sounds fairly bright and alert. Has he had a drink recently? Maybe leave a bowl of boiled cooled water for him to sip at.

Back