• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing outside bun indoors in December

Mr Cookie Bun

Mama Doe
:wave: How risky would it be to bring an outside bun indoors in December? I was supposed to be moving in August but it's now been put back till the 18th December and my buns will have to become house buns. They both currently live in seperate Thistle Hall hutches inside a insulated shed.

I don't think it would be as risky as going the other way round - from inside to outdoors. If you can keep them in an unheated room for a few weeks, to let them acclimatise to the warmer temperatures and start losing their thick winter coat, I don't think it would be a problem. If a bun was ill and you had to bring it inside for the winter, you'd have to do the same.

It depends on the buns really. Some can't cope with the heat at all with their winter coat on. I have a boy who after half an hour indoors has to go back out. I would look at bringing them in sooner rather than later if at all possible.

It guess it depends on the bunnies and the thickness of their coat. If one was ill then you would bring them in so as long as their room isnt too warm I think they would be alright.

My pair are inside but go out on the yard for a run all year round. I know the temperature change isnt meant to be good for them but its what they are used to doing and I dont make them go out we just have the back door open and if they want to go out they can.

Pearl became a house bunny in a January when i adopted her.. alot colder than December and had no issues, she just moulted a bit :D

Back