• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxomatosis in the US

sidereus7

Mama Doe
Two threads on myxi -- can you tell where my brain is at?

I was just reading this:

http://livestockhealth.suite101.com/article.cfm/myxomatosis_the_rabbit_disease

Myxomatosis is only in the US in California and the state above it (Oregon). I am one state above that, bordering Canada.

The California strain of myxi is 99% fatal, and there is no vaccine for it. Same symptoms, but I guess the UK vaccine doesn't work on it at all. :cry:

I really hope it never spreads north. I really wish stupid people knew the ramifications of releasing such a horrid virus. :cry:

And on that note, I'm wishing everyone with myxo buns at the moment the swiftest recoveries possible.

There are multiple different vaccines, they use different ones in other parts of europe to the one we use in the UK. I don't know how they compare though presumably none are available in the US.

I imagine it spreads less readily there though as there aren't the wild population of european rabbits to spread it. That's why California is more effected as it has a wild host. What species of wild rabbit (if any) is prevalent near you?

Looks like these are the main types of wild rabbit in my state:

The Nuttall's cottontail (Sylvilagus nuttallii, Fig. 3) averages 14 inches in length, is gray or brownish-gray, and has a relatively short, inconspicuous white tail. It is found in sagebrush areas, weed and tall-grass patches, and orchards throughout eastern Washington.

The Pygmy rabbit (Sylvilagus idahoensis) is the smallest rabbit in North America, measuring only 11 inches in length. It is slate-gray with a buff-colored tail and is found in the dense sagebrush and rabbitbrush areas of south-central Washington (where fewer than 50 of these rabbits exist)

The Eastern cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus) was introduced to several areas in Washington as a game animal beginning in the 1930s. It averages 17 inches in length and is light brown in color; the white underside of its 2-inch tail is readily visible when the rabbit runs. It is commonly seen along roads, brushy fencerows, and blackberry thickets in and around areas where it has been introduced.

The domestic rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) is another introduced species. Also known as the European rabbit or Belgian hare, this single species is the ancestor of all domestic rabbits (about 80 varieties!). The domestic rabbit is considerably larger than other Washington rabbits, measuring 20 to 30 inches in length. It has black, white, brown, or multicolored fur, and is most frequently seen in the San Juan Islands where it was first introduced in 1900, although it is spreading into other areas where it has been released.

Not sure how readily it spreads among these wild buns. I read in an article that myxi was first seen in California in 1928, so it appears not to spread very quickly if it's been around that long.

However, the article also suggested that wild buns could carry it without showing symptoms, and then pass it on to European domesticated rabbits, which of course make up most of our pet buns.

From what I understand of the illnesses in the US, they are very uncommon and occur very rarely. Often you get an isolated outbreak that does not seem to spread outside the warren. Obviously that can change and maybe sometimes it does, but it currently does not seem to be the huge threat over there that it is over here and in AUS.

Back