PDA

View Full Version : Opinions Please!

Ralph
24-10-2009, 11:05 PM
What do people think of the P@H hutches in general? I am thinking of getting a new one as Ralphs was 2nd hand and I want a smarter one, he is a dwarf and I was thinking this one http://www.petsathome.com/find/category-is-6+small+pets/breed-is-rabbit/category-is-6C+Cages/category-is-6C03+Hutches/product-is-22470

If its too small can anyone recommend a bigger one for around 50?:D

clutterydrawer
24-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Unfortunately I would say that's definitely too small - you want a minimum length of 6' really. In addition that hutch looks to be made of plywood rather than the sturdier tongue+groove construction which will last longer.

When I got my first rabbit I bought a 4' hutch which seemed ok at the time, but after a while I realised it wasn't really giving her enough room either to run about or stretch out properly. I ended up scrapping that hutch and buyign a new, bigger one - if only I'd bought the big one in the first place I could have saved a lot of money :roll:

I can't recommend a hutch in your price range as I haven't bough a hutch for a while so I don't know what's out there. P@H have some larger hutches which might be of use to you, and the ones at www.happyhutch.com are not bad although more in the 100 price range.

One thing I would stress is that it's better the spend a bit more now, than to get a cheap hutch and end up replacing it in a few months when it's leaking/rotten - it's a false economy.

good luck finding your perfect hutch :wave:

Stator
24-10-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm afraid most people will say that 4ft is not big enough for any rabbits. You really need to be looking at 6ft as a minimum, plus a nice run attached.

Crunchie
24-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Could be wrong but I don't think it'd be possible to buy a new hutch that is up to scratch for anything like 50 either.:( You could try looking on Ebay for something second hand or if you know someone that's good at DIY you could ask them to make you a custom one (that's what I did)?

Bex09
24-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I don't really think you will be able to get a large enough hutch for that kind of money. You are probably looking at paying at least 80-100 for a decent, large enough hutch. Unless you look at second hand ones.

Ralph
24-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks for being honest, I wasnt convinced myself which is why I asked, its smaller I think than what he is in now- I wasnt sure of the measurements, well I can read but couldnt quite 'see' it! but im not too worried as his run huge and I know he can strech in his current hutch! Re price I will wait a month longer im just impatient!!!!:lol:

Stephy
25-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Bunnies chew the p@h hutches to bits!!!! V soft wood. :wave:

*Spider*
25-10-2009, 04:47 PM
I really would not recomment P@H hutches.
Infact I'm not a big fan of hutches all together as permanent accomodation.
If you're looking for a low budget but you have a nice big area, why don't you look at a second hand shed?
I know someone who was selling a 6ftx4ft shed for 25, it only needed a roof panel replacing. This could have cost what... 20? :lol:
This is what I'm doing for my guinea pigs :)
Good luck :wave:

Ralph
25-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Thats a good idea, which, if I had my own space I would use, unfortunatly my parents are not keen!:D