• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

odd shaped poos?

Mel D

Warren Scout
Hi, My rabbit snowy hasn't done any poos for about 9hrs so I let him out for a run and he is doing odd shaped poos with a stringy/jelly like hanging out of them.
Does anyone know what is wrong with him?

It generally means something is irritating the gut, and it can be serious, in some cases fatal (although in others it can be benign and, for example, something that happens in times of stress).

How is he doing? Eating? Drinking?

Has he had anything different that might have triggered it?

It might be worth calling the emergency vet and sounding them out about what they think you should do.

silky had jelly covered poo with stringy bits in and she had pin worms, i think you should get her wormed asap, it can be fatal, it was for silky:cry:

silky had jelly covered poo with stringy bits in and she had pin worms, i think you should get her wormed asap, it can be fatal, it was for silky:

I wormed him with panacur about a month ago,I don't know whether I can worm him again so soon.
He is very much the same today not eating much and only doing a few poos, I think I will get him to a vet in the morning.

I am wondering whether he is upset about something, the only thing that has changed is that I purchased another baby boy rabbit and although they are in the same room together I wonder if he can smell him.

Stress can be a major factor in bunnies gut functions as they can get 'depressed' and much like humans may not feel like eating, however unlike humans who can go for a while without eating and come out the other side bunnies are in trouble if they stop eating as I am sure you know.
He may well be able to smell the new bunny but even if that has caused him to not want to eat, the jelly in his poo would not be a result of that, so he definatly needs to be checked by the vets, I would advise you to take a sample of the poo and jelly in with you to show them.

Back