• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unpacking sawdust. Is there a quick way?

Tinamoo

Young Bun
I hope you don't think that this is a really silly question. I have just spent around 20 mins unpacking my new pack of sawdust so it is all ready for when I come to clean out the hutch tomorrow.

I used to just unwrap it and put the block into a black bag. But it has been beginning to be a pain when I come to use it. I have been trying to uncompact(is that the right word?) it as I go along but this way it has been taking twice as long to clean the hutch out which is not so bad when the weather is okay but a pain when it is not.

Is there an easy way to uncompact it that I do not know about????

Many thanks.

Tina

I have no idea... Not many people on here use sawdust :) have you tried lining the cage with lino, then newspapers and hay :) Alot easier ;) xXx

Try Megazorb - no unpacking probs and definitely safe for bunnies :D

Your local farm shop should stock it or try on-line like the Hay Experts (they're big bags so shipping is expensive though!).

I hope you don't think that this is a really silly question. I have just spent around 20 mins unpacking my new pack of sawdust so it is all ready for when I come to clean out the hutch tomorrow.

I used to just unwrap it and put the block into a black bag. But it has been beginning to be a pain when I come to use it. I have been trying to uncompact(is that the right word?) it as I go along but this way it has been taking twice as long to clean the hutch out which is not so bad when the weather is okay but a pain when it is not.

Many thanks.

Tina

I have to agree, don't like shavings or sawdust for small animals. I use Megazorb but you could also use Biocatolet, Yesterdays News, Carefresh etc.

Here's an article about it's use which I found and use when rehoming..

"Why Shouldn‘t You Use Wood Shavings/Sawdust?

There has long been anecdotal evidence amongst keepers of small animals that shavings are bad for small animal health. Commonly reported problems are overly dry skin leaving the animal prone to skin mites, fungal skin infections and frequent, itchy and patchy moulting.

Eye problems are also commonly reported and this is likely to be due to sharp splinter type dusty particles entering the eyes.

There are also overwhelmingly frequent reports of respiratory problems. It was thought this is likely to be due to the exceptionally drying nature of shavings and recently there has been extensive scientific research into the subject with not altogether surprising findings! Because ammonia (the strongly alkaline chemical in urine) reacts with the wood, toxic chemicals (called phenols) are released on contact. The main irritant in cedar is plicatic acid and western red cedar contains the highest concentrations. In pine, the main irritant is abietic acid, sometimes called sylvic acid. Studies in humans exposed to cedar and pine wood over long periods of time have shown a clear link with chronic chest disease. Conclusive links have also been made with cancers and liver damage (there is an excellent review of all these studies by Laura Tessmer at cavycages.com/pine.htm).

There is no reason to believe that the effects in rabbits are any less significant and indeed they may be more significant given that rabbits have a high metabolic rate and a relatively short lifespan (compared to humans). It would also be sensible to assume the effects are multiplied by the fact that so many hutched rabbits live at ground level, moving around in constant contact with the shavings and the surrounding air.

When the RSPCA re-launched its rabbit care guides to reflect new Animal Welfare Act laws, its specifically advises against the use of shavings, another indicator that main stream animal care advice is falling into line with growing evidence that shavings are indeed dangerous to small animal health. The scientific evidence simply validates what diligent owners and vets have already been saying for years.

Given that there are now so many safe, hazard free alternatives easily and widely available on the market, it is the rescues policy that it is unacceptable to risk the health and welfare of the rabbits by choosing to use shavings in. Therefore, we mainly use Megazorb at the rescue but you may also see us using Carefresh, Bio-Catolet, Bob Martin Recycled Paper Litter, Yesterdays News, Hutch Hemp, Aubiose, Eco-Bed, Eco Straw, Back 2 Nature, or just fresh hay and newspaper."

I did not realise. I am just doing what pets
at home told me to when I got the rabbit.
I line with newspaper. Then put down shavings (not sawdust like I posted).
Then I put some hay over it.

That's your first mistake. Never listen to anything a pet shop tells you as they are least likely to know what tehy are talking about. Easy mistake to malke though as you would think they should give good advice but sadly they don't.

The best thing to do if you have not yet opened your bag of shavings is to return it to the shop, line your hutch with newspaper and hay and set about litter training your rabbit :wave:

I completely agree with The Duchess about Phenols, they are nasty things if you have ever read the Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS). I myself am allergic to them and it causes my skin to blister. We have a factory at work where they are used which I cannot go in as the skin strts to peel from my nostrils if I do. Imagine if your bun also became allergic?

Thats ok, most people don't realise because pet shops sell these things as suitable for them :wave:

I use Megazorb in my litter trays :) Its safe and I think its cheaper than sawdust, you get a big sack for about £8 you can get it at most horse supply places x

Many thanks.

Tina

I use newspaper, woodshavings and hay with no problems :D Don't feel bad, people have different opinions, I'm with you!!

He uses a litter tray in his run. Not in
his hutch. I reasoned that the shavings
would give extra comfort for his feet?
I do also use shavings and hay in his
litter tray.

What I used to do is just take all the plastic off and mash it up with a pitchfork :lol: If you have an old mesh hutch door you can rub the blocks of woodshavings onto that.

PS - Don't believe what P@H say, most of them know nothing about animals.

He uses a litter tray in his run. Not in
his hutch. I reasoned that the shavings
would give extra comfort for his feet?
I do also use shavings and hay in his
litter tray.

If you like it then go ahead and use it, I care for my rabbits in ways that some disapprove of, it's upto you. Just be aware of what I said and what The Duchess has said and look out for signs that regularly in case all is not well. You can then do change what you are using. You now have advice of what alternatives there are so a quick change if your bun is having problems should be fairly easy :wave:

I can't get any litter trays to fit perfectly into the places they poo, so I have to just use woodshavings in the bedroom area. I have found a great pet/farm shop nearby that does horse stuff, so I might see if they do megazorb there.

I can't use hay as bedding, the rabbits soil it straight away and I see no point in throwing tons away each day.

I've used wood shavings for the 6 and a bit years I've had the buns, with no problems at all. The small bags are a nightmare to de-compact (if that's a word!) I always use the massive bags you can get. I keep it in one of those green storage chests so I can just take some when I need it, without having to worry about decanting it.

Do keep an eye on him with the newspaper though - make sure he doesn't eat it!

Oh, I forgot two more tips...

1) Jump up and down on it. Even better if you have football boots :lol:
2) Get a bored friend to come round to your house and do it for you

Both have been tried and tested ;)

I don't know what your problem is. I find it very therapeutic after a hard day at work....what do you mean am I imagining punching pupils....would I?!

Back