• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nervous about tooth extraction (Updated)

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
Today is the day when I can finally get Yuki the much needed relief by getting that terrible tooth extracted. But I can't help feeling really scared. I don't like the thought of putting him under anesthetic because he's already 7 years old and has had health problems in the past. And I'm not looking forward to seeing him in a lot of pain. Even though they'll send me home with strong pain relief for him, I think he'll still be hurting for a couple of days, especially if there's an abscess or a bad infection. I'm also scared to think about what it's going to be like from now on. It was nice before when they did a conscious dental and I didn't have to worry about him being put under, but from now on I'm planning to have him go under GA whenever he needs his teeth trimmed to reduce his stress, and also because I want his teeth filed, not clipped. I've heard of bunnies dying while just getting a simple dental done, and he needs his teeth trimmed every 2 months or less. I will feel much more nervous from now on when I bring him in for a dental. I just don't want to lose him. :(

Last edited:
I'll be thinking of you guys and hoping the operation goes quickly and is successful.

Please keep us updated :)

Lots of vibes and courage for you and Yuki today. I'm sure you're doing the right thing, giving him a chance to feel more comfortable and even though he will be sore afterwards it will hopefully mean he will be less sore and more comfortable in the future. The end justifies the means. :)
You have done everything you can for your boy - i'm sure the vet will take good care of him. Good luck :)

Thank you everyone for your vibes and reassurance. It made me feel better about this. :) I just hope everything goes smoothly and Yuki will be back to his normal self next week. I also hope that no more teeth fall out!

I know I have no choice but to get this extraction done. He can't be on Metacam forever, and it'll just get worse the longer I wait. I just will feel so bad for him having that pain, especially since he has to ride home for an hour in his carrier afterward! That's going to be really uncomfortable for him, but I'm sure they'll give him some pain meds right there so hopefully they kick in right away.

Every good wish for you both.
I'm hoping that he'll be a bit groggy for the journey home, so he won't stress out!
My bun needs his bottom molars burred, every 4 - 6 weeks, & has a short acting GA every time. I am very fortunate to have a top exotics vet nearby, & a practice geared for rabbit anaesthetics. I so hope you've got the help you need at last.

Yes, I definitely got the help I need, and it's a huge relief! The vet I met today is definitely an expert. I can tell she's really knowledgeable about rabbits because she knew exactly what she was doing and talking about, unlike the other vets I had before. I'm glad I've finally found an expert, and I hope that things start getting better now.

As for today, turns out he didn't actually need an extraction. There was a fractured tooth that the vet easily was able to remove when she had him under GA for the x-rays. The root is still there so it will grow back. The thing she and I are concerned about was that there was a little puss where the tooth was because it had been loose for a while. She said it might turn into an abscess, but she can't be sure now. She did a bunch of skull x-rays and at the moment there are no abscesses visible, but because there was puss, she said one might be in the beginning stages. She sent me home with an antibiotic called Metronidazole that she said would help heal the infection, and to keep him on the Baytril he's already on. He'll be on these 2 for 2 weeks, and he'll be on Metacam until Tuesday, then she wants me to take him off of it and see how he does with his eating.

She showed me his x-rays and they didn't look too good. :( He has major dental problems, especially on the left side. She said the right side is wearing down normally, but the left side isn't because there is a space in his jaw bone on the left. She said the jaw still seems pretty sturdy, though. He'll have to be put under anesthetic every couple of months and have the teeth on that side burred down. She also burred them today. She pointed out the tooth roots have gotten deeper and are pushing down on the bones in his jaw. The ones on top looked too close to the eyes for comfort, even though he isn't having any problems with his eyes. I just hope they don't go any deeper. It just makes me so upset that he has to have so many dental problems! I wish there was some way to fix them so they'll never cause him pain and discomfort again. She said to bring him back in 2 weeks for a follow up, and hopefully there will be no abscesses to treat. It would just be such a nightmare if he got an abscess! But I hope he'll find relief now that the tooth bothering him is gone, and his left side teeth have been burred.

The doctor is also doing a culture on the puss in his mouth, and discharge from his nose. He is eating lettuce and carrots now, and I'll be keeping a close eye on his food intake tonight to see if he'll need Critical Care or not. At the moment he is happy and alert.

Back