• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New and improved Freddie 5ft x 2ft hutch

Hi All,

Sean from bitsforpets.com here.

I thought you might like to know that our new Freddie 5ft x 2ft hutch has recently arrived into the country.

<url & pic removed - advertising is not allowed>

I have recently assembled and examined the hutch and I have to say I'm very pleased with what the new manufacturer has produced.

I designed the hutch myself to accommodate larger rabbits and we have improved the hutch with each refresh.

Now the hutch is modular so that you can add many levels.
It has big doors for easy access.
It is now taller, in the single level hutch the height at the lowest point is just shy of 2ft, the same for upper floor of of the double. The lower floor is 55cm.
The main living area has a tray floor on a wooden base so it's strong and easy to clean.
The sleeping section has a plasticised wooden base which is removable making it easy to clean and disinfect.

We also increased the size of the attaching run to 5ft x 5ft and over 2ft high. So the combo provides a lovely space for bunnies.

I'm a rabbit owner myself and so have a vested interest in making hutches that are more suitable. Our rabbits are very lucky as they live mostly in our Mega-run which is 8ft x 8ft.

You can see our rabbits, Dallas and Snork enjoying the new hutch on our website.

We are also working on new hutch designs which again provide large amounts of room for bunnies, hopefully we'll have news of a new design that we are working on shortly.

I don't mean to hijack the forum or anything but I thought you'd like to know about the improvements to this hutch.

Kind Regards
Sean

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good for pairs of buns but i wouldnt put large breeds in it such as frenchies, dont think its big enough. Looks good quality.

I don't like double hutches too much space taken up by the ladder and the hole down from the top level.

I would like to see a much larger "run" as well.

I don't like double hutches too much space taken up by the ladder and the hole down from the top level.

I would like to see a much larger "run" as well.

The run is 25 square foot with really strong wire, I don't think you can find anything like it on the web. It can be used stand alone too.

Have you seen our Mega-Run?

<url & pic removed - advertising is not allowed>

The run is 25 square foot with really strong wire, I don't think you can find anything like it on the web. It can be used stand alone too.

Have you seen our Mega-Run?

I don't think the way the run is made was questioned,merely the size....5x5 isn't a huge space for bunnies.

Did you post this thread just to get positive comments because, if I see accomodation that I don't think is suitable, then I can't praise it and will always state what I think can be improved on.

A lot of rabbits still get a very raw deal when it comes to living conditions. Accomodation such as you posted will not give a rabbit an enriching environment with anywhere near enough free running space. I wasn't commenting on how the housing was constructed or indeed on any other run that is available. I was commenting on the size of the accomodation shown on your original thread.

Well my buns are lucky enough to live in shed/aviary style accommodation but IF I had to keep them in hutches, then this one looks pretty good to me! If every bunny in the UK lived in one of these we wouldn't have much cause to complain.

I agree that it's probably not large enough for frenchies or giants but for any small-medium sized buns, I'd say it was pretty reasonable. There's always room for improvement or room for creating more space but don't knock the guy folks - at least he's doing something positive towards improving the lives of our little furry friends. When someone posts a picture on here of their 'set up' which is a five foot hutch with a six foot run attached, everyone says 'how wonderful' it is - whereas Sean's set up actually has more space!

Just to point out, I don't work for Sean and I have no idea who he is but I don't feel he deserves such harsh comments when he's trying to produce something half decent for our little friends.

Last edited:
Yeah let's look on the bright side - it's much bigger than many bunnies in the UK get!

Would be nice if you could withdraw the small hutches you sell though and just concentrate on the nice sized ones - some of them on your site are utterly unsuitable for rabbits, like this one for example: <url removed>

Anything of that size, especially with the base entitled a "run" is going to perpetuate the myth that the rabbit in it doesn't need any addition exercise as its hutch already has a run attached. You clearly know from the luxury that your own rabbits live in, that this is unsuitable, so why sell it to allow other rabbits to be destined for it?

Yeah let's look on the bright side - it's much bigger than many bunnies in the UK get!

Would be nice if you could withdraw the small hutches you sell though and just concentrate on the nice sized ones - some of them on your site are utterly unsuitable for rabbits, like this one for example:

OK - fair enough! I admit I hadn't looked on the website to see the tiny hutches still for sale. Get rid of them Sean - they're pants. Stick to the five-foot plus sizes.

I agree with Mackers.

Although I am in the camp of as much space as possible, if this hutch is 5ftx2ft double storey - which is 20sq ft this is easily the minimum RWAF and RSPCA hutch size. With a run of 5ftx5ft this equates to 25sq ft which again equals the minimum RWAF and RSPCA 6ftx4ft run which is 24sq ft.
These guidelines are for two regular size buns.

So although not big enough for large breeds, it does meet the current recommendations for two smaller rabbits, which is a darn sight better than most hutches you see for sale in pet shops around the country.
One would hope that on top of this, rabbit owners would give their buns some free time to hop around the lawn or house under supervision.

If every bunny in the country, as Mackers says, had accomodation like this then there would be a lot less space restricted health and behaviour issues that is found the majority of domestic pet rabbits at the moment cramped up in 3ft hutches with no attached run. :(

Hadn't seen the website either! :oops: Oh dear... small hutches need to go!!!

I have one criticism re. your mega run - there is no lid?! This run could therefore not be used without supervision - as it is NOT predator proof from ground or airborne predators.

ETA Oh Apex run for rabbits?! A big no no for that one :( A rabbit would not be able to periscope on its hind legs properly. I think it is great you have built a more appropriate size hutch and run, but think it would be even better if you could help customers to recognise their legal responsiblities under the Animal Welfare Act by supporting rabbit welfare minimum hutch guidelines and stop stocking such inadequate sized rabbit housing. :):wave:

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to slate the hutch and run,agree its better then a lot that are sold for bunnies .

I didn't appreciate the sarcasm in the reply to my comment and lets not forget this is all free advertising for him!!

All I was doing was commenting on the fact that its not a huge space for a rabbit to run around in, posting something like this on a forum is always going to get mixed reviews and if all that was wanted was praise then it was a shortsighted post really.

I don't think that the guidelines on hutch sizes provides enough space either. A rabbit kept in even 6ft accomodation just cannot exhibit normal rabbit behaviour.

I know most people will not agree with me but it is something that I feel really strongly about and will always air my opinion on whether this makes me look picky or not!

I don't think that the guidelines on hutch sizes provides enough space either. A rabbit kept in even 6ft accomodation just cannot exhibit normal rabbit behaviour.

I know most people will not agree with me but it is something that I feel really strongly about and will always air my opinion on whether this makes me look picky or not!

I agree with you actually :D I always focus on the wording being minimum and not being appropriate. For me, rabbits need space - wild buns have acres and domestic breeds are the same species with the same physical and emtional needs.

I wasn't trying to slate the hutch and run,agree its better then a lot that are sold for bunnies .

I didn't appreciate the sarcasm in the reply to my comment and lets not forget this is all free advertising for him!!

All I was doing was commenting on the fact that its not a huge space for a rabbit to run around in, posting something like this on a forum is always going to get mixed reviews and if all that was wanted was praise then it was a shortsighted post really.

No sarcasm at all, I genuinely forgot one of the features of the run. It's been about 12 weeks since we finalised the design. We wanted a way of making a huge secure run and also make it practical for couriers to deliver.

As far as smaller hutches go, we are trying to phase them out. Some people do need just a small hutch for overnight in a garage or something. We generally manage to convince most people to buy the biggest hutch possible or to change their mind and buy guinea pigs instead of rabbits.

The Mega-Run only has a corner shade. You can change the shape of the Mega-Run so a generic top would be impractical. We may introduce netting by the metre to fill that gap!

We will also be introducing even bigger hutches in the future, but it takes time and costs a lot to develope new ideas. So we have to do it one step at a time.

Thanks
Sean

Back