• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mxyomatosis vaccinations.

Starlight

Warren Veteran
I have just seen someone state vaccines are now 3 x a year, every 4 months.

Is this true? 4 of my own are due 16th January, this being the 6 monthly due date. Should this be brought forward?

I am emailing the vet to get due dates of all current rescues.

Im not sure however i vaguely remember someone mentioning it, i work in a vets so i can ask them aswell if thats any help? I vaccinate my 2 every 6 months :)

Last edited:
I could never afford to get mine vaccinated 3 times a year :( Not sure that giving thema vaccine that often would be good for them either as so many are elderly or ill :?

Given that buns are getting myxi at all months during 6 monthly vaccinations would an extra one make any difference?

I just saw that too, will be asking my vet when I am in next week

My two haven't had theirs yet so it frightens me :cry: They were due the week that Buu and Beau died but the vet put them on the 28 day course of panacur and said he would vaccinate them once thats done. I have them booked in for the day it finishes but thats 28 days overdue then :( Also their VHD is overdue the same because they have the myxi one first :(

I could never afford to get mine vaccinated 3 times a year :( Not sure that giving thema vaccine that often would be good for them either as so many are elderly or ill :?

Given that buns are getting myxi at all months during 6 monthly vaccinations would an extra one make any difference?

To be honest, my thoughts are quite similar to Liz'z in that is it really good for them to be vaccinated so often. I'm not sure I would vaccinate that much.

Hmm, I really hope not. I ahven't heard anything about that... but if true then I would need to get mine done around now.
I can't see why it would be necessary though really... as Hugo's There said, rabbits seem to be able to get myxi even when they've recently been vaccinated...

I don't think there is any new research been done, so surely the latest thought is the vaccine gives 6-7 months protection? I think it is the fact the vaccine doesn't use the same virus (All a bit technical for me, but I think it uses a similar virus to get the response) which means it isn't 100% effective no matter how often it's given :?

Just phoned my vet and they said they have not heard of this and don't advice it.

I also asked if they had any cases of Nodular Myxi in vacs rabbit and they said no:shock: Just two in with full blown Myxi unvaced.

I live in Kent. Anyone with Nodular Myxi in this area?

Not heard anything about having vacs every three months. My faith in vacs is a little shaken at this time having recently lost one to myxi (vacs every 6 months)

If they are suggestiong 3 times a year I think (unless I get very strong reason to change my mind) I prefer the idea of one vaccine in spring and another late summer (about 4-5 months apart) and then not do a winter vaccine.

I've only just gone from 12 months to 6 months, my local vet regarded 6 months as questionable for 'over-vaccinating' :?

If they are suggestiong 3 times a year I think (unless I get very strong reason to change my mind) I prefer the idea of one vaccine in spring and another late summer (about 4-5 months apart) and then not do a winter vaccine.

I've only just gone from 12 months to 6 months, my local vet regarded 6 months as questionable for 'over-vaccinating' :?

Thats interesting...my vets have always advised 6 monthly but not mentioned 4 monthly as yet.

Thats interesting...my vets have always advised 6 monthly but not mentioned 4 monthly as yet.

It's only in the last year they have gone to 6 monthly. I was getting a bit worried that they were recommending 12 monthly as not consistent with most areas on the forum, then they changed. I rang FHB surgery to see if they were consistent with local vets and they said they had only just gone to 6 monthly in the last year or so (this was a year ago).

It's only in the last year they have gone to 6 monthly. I was getting a bit worried that they were recommending 12 monthly as not consistent with most areas on the forum, then they changed. I rang FHB surgery to see if they were consistent with local vets and they said they had only just gone to 6 monthly in the last year or so (this was a year ago).

maybe you're not deemed such a high risk area?

Theres been so much around here its awful :(

I would be reluctant to have 3 vaccines a year, just because of filling my lovely bunnies full of chemicals, particularly the older ones.
6 monthly seems to be about right to me, and my vets certainly haven't mentioned having them any more frequently.

Yes, I have heard this

where is this new advice?

I currently occasionally do 5 months - to ensure that they are vacc'd just before the worst period.

certainly my vet does not worry about vacs being too close as she will re-do a new bun who has come from somewhere when we are not sure if the vac would have been done correctly -

Are you talking about my post? I though all vets were saying this now!

I was first told by my old vet 5 or 6 months ago. Now I'm at a new practice, (supposedly the best in Cornwall) and they all advise it too. Obviously it's up to the owner though.

I vaccinate every six months, or slightly under that if for example I want to time it to give good cover at a high risk period.

I thought the reason for 6 monthly was that the effectiveness of the vaccine tails off towards the end of the year - are they now saying it tails off after four months? :?

Obviously I would be devastated if my bunnies got myxi but I'm a bit reluctant to keep increasing the frequency of vaccinations, especially after the recent discussion here of the risks of over-vaccination.

Does anyone have any reliable information on three yearly vaccinations?

Back