• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Myxi and immunisation

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
There have been a lot of people saying that their buns have fallen ill when they've been vaccinated only a few months prior. I just want to know how people think this happens. Is it because it mutates so quickly or is it even possible that it could somehow cause them to get ill? :shock:

Grimlock has never been vaccinated because the vets will only do it if they think he's well enough and sadly he's never well. :cry:

Hi, it has nothing to do with mutation or the vaccine. Bunnies who've been vaccinated can still catch myxi, but it's a milder form. Since the vaccine is made from a different virus, it is impossible for the vaccine to cause myxi.

Lots and lots of bunnies who are vaccinated don't catch myxi. It just seems that there are a lot because they're the ones who post about it. And myxi is very widespread - the wild rabbit population is absolutely infested with it.

It's a shame Grimlock can't be vaccinated - you'll just have to put lots of effort into keeping the flies away.

hope this helps

Yup, thanks. :D

I'm just worrying because I want my sister down for Christmas and she won't stay without her bunny. They live next to a farm.

I'm hoping to get him done in a month if possible. And also it'll make Grim happy to see his girlfriend. :)

The vets won't vaccinate Grimlock because vaccines rely on a healthy immune system to work. If a rabbits vaccinated when its immune system is busy fighting illness or is just generally not very active it doesn't worlk. No vaccine is 100% effective unfortunately.

Just to remind people, although I think most of you already know, vets are now advising 3 times a year, particually in high risk places.

Back