• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Off her food....or is she?

Grace and Louis

Warren Scout
Grace has seemed to go off her food in the last couple of days and as a result hasnt been pooing very much and when she has it has only been little poos. I have seen her drink earlier today but we have been out most of the day and she has been in the garden enjoying some air.

I am taking her to the vets tomorrow but I have to say that she is confusing me - She hasnt really touched much of her bunny food in the past 24 hours but she has eaten a few treats, a few crasins, a little bit of hay and she is still eating paper and cardboard! - I dont get why she will eat cardboard and not bunny food!

I am trying not to panic at the moment as we have only just lost Louis and Grace seems relativly sprightly in herself at the moment (she is currently chilled out of the window sill) Im just not sure what to tell the vets. She had her teeth checked in July and she was absolutly fine but Im guessing this could be a possibility.

I also imagine that she may just be depressed at loosing Louis and having been on her own for too long now. I really just dont know what to make of her

I'd say it is probably due to being lonely, though teeth could be a possibility.
Would rule out Stasis as she is still eating, even if slightly less.

I am sure that you are doing the right thing taking her to the vet and I think you are right to suspect that there's something wrong with her teeth. I really hope there is nothing wrong with her. Good luck at the vets tomorrow. Sending lots of vibes for your girl xx

I would take away the paper and cardboard, they may be filling her up so she feels full, although Im not too sure. or again it could be her teeth or just losing a buny friend she could be just down in the dumps :(

I would still get the vet to check her out as a precausion.

I would definatly stop her eating the paper and cardboard, cardboard CAN cause a blockage if actually injested, I am not saying that this is what has happened but I dont think it is worth the risk.

If she is only producing small poos that can be a sign of early statis, which may have been brought on by the upset of loosing her friend, a slow down in her gut from the cardboard or a combination of the two.

It is a good thing you are taking her to the vets tomorrow, so they can feel her tummy and assess her.
Keep us posted, hope all goes well at the vets.

Stress alone, so yes the upset of losing her partner, is enough to bring on a bout of GI stasis. She may still be eating a few things and passing a few droppings but the size and quantity of these would inidicate to me a tummy gone into ileus (slow down) which is the early warning stage for full on gastric stasis and therefore needs prompt treatment at this stage, so i'm glad you've gone to the vet. What makes this even more significant for me is that she is trying to eat cardboard/paper - which is what rabbits craving fibre often do when their tummies are slowing down. Somehow they know what they need. She needs constant access to fresh sweet hay and I would removed the cardboard as others have said and replace it with piles of hay. She knows that fibre is what her tummy needs to pick up speed again. I have heard of this many times before with buns going into stasis.

I do hope you had a good appointment and she has been given some pain relief and gut motility drugs to get her tummy back up to speed provided all feels ok inside and there are no other underlying problems. Buns experience emotional loss very strongly and she will need all your tlc and lots of support to get her through this. Some people find a cuddly rabbit toy can be helpful for a grieving bun, and others find a new real-life bunny friend is just the thing to perk them up again. I'm so sorry for your recent loss :cry:.
I hope she feels better soon. :)

Gracie had an appointment this morning and the vet found that she does have some small spurs that may be causing her some discomfort - so she is booked in for a dental on Monday morning - but she wasnt 100% sure what was causing her an issue. She didnt feel blocked, which was good news and I asked her if she thought Grace could be depressed and she didnt think it would come on suddenly and stop her from eating.

She said that she really couldnt find anything wrong with her and to her she didnt seem particularly ill to her so fingers crossed it is just the spurs.

Grace did have a teddy when she was a solo house bun, well it was a freaky looking giraffe from ikea who we named Norm, and she did seem to really like him so maybe for now she would like someone of her own to love and groom - I cant get Norm at the moment, although I do still have him, but I'm sure that my little boy Elliott may have a teddy that he doesnt mind donating to his favorite bunny rabbit.

Back