• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

trying something copying and pasting from another post what are other peoples views?

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
I am new to this forum and I am finding all this about the Myxi very scary as I had a female (age 3) never vacs and outdoor and I have just paid £17.00 for my little male Gizmo to have an injection today. What is the point in me putting him through the stress and discomfort every six months if its not going to protect him? I have said it about 3 times now as I am trying to bring some logic to things in my own mind and no-one is even acknowledging my comments?? It seems ironic that a disease introduced deliberately to the wild rabbit population that also infects domestic pets has a vaccine that is every six months and chargeable? I can't understand this, surely it's not fair apart from ethics to charge people for a vaccine against a man made disease thats not even effective. I am so sorry for you and I if my little fella gets it or anything goes wrong within the next few weeks there will be hell to pay!!! It's completely unfair and unjust, you are going to have a fight now to help them survive (without counting the cost) and I am struggling to understand the logic of having paid for a vaccine then incurring more costs when they contract the disease. Does the Myxi vac like the Flu vac for us contain the virus itself? Very best of luck to you - I am hoping you and your bunnies will have the strength to fight it together x

I believe the Myxi vac contains a disease that is similar to Myxi but isnt actually the same thing.

It will protect him. It is effective. It's possible he could get myxi but it would be a much weaker, less fatal form. Bunnies which haven't been vaccinated almost never survive myxi. Bunnies which have been vaccinated have a very good chance.

It is not a man-made disease, but it was introduced to Europe on purpose.

Copied from the other thread

The vaccine offers a chance of survival should your bunny get myxi so it is totally worth it, your vet should be able to explain it all to you properly if you ask :) I believe the vaccine also reduces the risk of catching myxi. I am sure nothing will go wrong, I have never had a bunny react badly to the vaccine. And if your bunny does catch myxi you have given him the best chance of pulling through :) My vet has always advised still looking out for symptoms of myxi and recommends they are vaccinated every six months x

Also from reading peoples threads on here, I think the stress of a vaccine every six months is going to be nothing compared to the stress of an unvaccinated bun getting full on myxi x

Last edited:
Thank-you hopefully it will be fine, I am just concerned that it doesn't appear to offer complete safety but, I have done some more research and I think it deffo does pay to get it done :) Found this while having a look around. Feel better it wasn't introduced here on purpose.:?

MYXOMATOSIS
Myxomatosis is caused by the myxoma virus, a type of pox virus that only affects rabbits. It was first discovered in 1896 in Uruguay and was imported to Australia in 1951 to control its large rabbit populations - initially having the desired devastating effect. The disease was illegally introduced to France in 1952 and it appeared in Britain the following year. It quickly spread to both wild and domestic rabbit populations and within a few years had spread throughout Europe. Myxomatosis has been a threat to wild and domestic rabbits ever since.

Back