• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kicking straw out of the bed??

lildebs

Mama Doe
Hiya:wave:
Since I got my rescue bun I've noticed that by a.m the straw is everywhere but in their bed area:roll:...haven't figured out which one it is yet but I do see Bella in there more than Oscar but she never did this prior to getting her husbun....can anyone shed any light on it? (I don't pack it full)...many thanks

Autumn used to do this, then I neutered her and it stopped.

Some of this type of behaviour stops once neutered, some doesn't.

However, could it just be her way of saying, "Im warm enough Mum!!"

yea my OH said same particularly if they're both in there...(not pleased that he thinks he knows more than me) :lol::lol: ....

thanks for that :D

We have a pair in the rescue that insist on moving all straw and hay out of their hutch into the run. The only time they stop is when it starts getting to around -5!

Amber does this most nights. She just chucks everything out of her night part into the day area of the hutch:roll::?

shall I try putting even less in then and making the sawdust/shavings thicker? don't want them to be cold

I had fleece on the bottom of mine, and carpet on the roof, under a water proof tarp, In there I had a litter tray. I ended up partially blocking the hole, so they could get out but not take all the hay with them. she soon got the idea.

I don't think they'll be too cold, I'm getting the silver bubble wrap stuff for under their hutch hugger (can't remember the name), and may reduce the straw and try putiing the snugglesafe in, see how that goes:roll: I saw Bella kicking it out this a.m so I'm suspecting it's her...lil divil:lol:

At this time of year I wouldn't think it is necessary, unless your bun is young, sick or old, or not used to the cold and hasn't had time to grow in their winter coat, it is still considered autumn up until December.

I start giving extra hay and straw about the back end of November and there snuggle safe and porridge oats during cold snaps.

My theory is they have winter coats and another bun to snuggle up to. All are in good health etc so really there should be no problems :)

We had a foster bun like this (strangely michelleox, also called Amber! :lol:) - she was CONSTANTLY rearraging the straw in the hutch! She had been in rescue 7 months before coming to us and so had been neutered for a long time! I just used to say that she was house-proud and didn't agree with my Feng-Shui!!!! :lol: :lol:

Spot does this all the time, I fill their dog bed with hay and straw and next min she has kicked it all out the shed into the run, she sometimes does it with her litter trays too, she quite funny as she rearranges her box's etc too, all I hear is bang, clatter etc when I've just cleaned them out :p xx

Back