• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Suoer Burgess Excel = Runny Poop?!

gizmobunny

Young Bun
Hi all, we have two bunnies, Gizmo a netherland dwarf 1 year 3 months and honey an 8 month Mini Lop.

Always fed them both Super Burgess Excel netherland and dwarfs (heard it was a good brand!) They have a small bowl of veg in morning, usualy carrot brocoli parsley sprouts etc and in evenin 65g of pellets (40 for honey 25 for giz!)

They seem to have lost litter training and now have lots of sloppy poo like balls but stuck together, they then run in it in thier run and it goes everywhere! lol!

Is there another form of pellet food we can ween them onto that they can both eat as i think it must be the fibre?!

We have taken the veg away and it stil happened, they always both seem happy all the time!

Please help

Many thanks

I think a fair few people have issues with Excel and it causing mucky bums in bunnies. That was one of the key factors why I chose science selective for my buns as I hadn't heard any bad press about it like the Excel.

I *think* its the oil content in Excel that causes the mucky bums...I'm sure that what I read somewhere....

I've always fed my buns SS and never had a problem with it. If your going to be changing their pellets then do it gradually so as not to upset their tummies, and always give plenty of fresh hay x

Thats a quick reply! Many thanks for the advice, have you used this product? Just looked online and people say its a good product, may have to try it.

Thats a quick reply! Many thanks for the advice, have you used this product? Just looked online and people say its a good product, may have to try it.

I use Science selective as by bums can't handle Excel. They get the runs with it so it's a definite no-no. SS is more expensive but a 2kg bag that I paid 4.99 for 4 months ago is still going as I don't feed many pellets - an eggcup full each per day/ small handful between them

Good luck with your poo problem :wave:

I feed my bunnies science selective on advise of the wonderful rescue centre they came from (along with a never ending supply of hay and veg). They have never had any problems with sticky bottoms and love the pellets.

My previous bunnies were fed on the old muesli style food (which was the food most bunnies were fed on 10 years ago) and they had problems.

Hope it goes well:)

See, I'm confused about all this food business. I'm currently weaning my two onto Burgess Excel because my vet's (very Rabbit savvy) recommended it. Also I have heard from different sources that alfalfa based food isn't necessarily a good thing (which I understand Science Selective is), which is why I didn't go for it - I'm totally confused now and will be interested to hear other views on this.:?:?

I've fed Science Selective pretty much constantly and haven't had any mucky bum problems, but I've never tried Excel either.

If this is a sudden change, as opposed to something that has happened all the time they have been on Excel, then it is worth looking at things other than the pellets that might be causing it, such as a specifi food, if that is new, or if you have changed hay and they are eating less, or a stomach problem that might cause this, etc.

See, I'm confused about all this food business. I'm currently weaning my two onto Burgess Excel because my vet's (very Rabbit savvy) recommended it. Also I have heard from different sources that alfalfa based food isn't necessarily a good thing (which I understand Science Selective is), which is why I didn't go for it - I'm totally confused now and will be interested to hear other views on this.:?:?

I see where you are confused. Most vets recommend it as excel is one of the more readily available pellets on the market so if your bun id ok with it then that's fine.

SS tends to be a bit better on tummies for some reason. You may think that alfalfa in SS is bad for rabbits - it is due to the high calcium content but if you only feed an eggcup full per rabbit per day then it's not actually that bad. Advice is to not feed alfalfa hay as that would be fed in umlimited quatities with rabbits getting far more calcium than is good for them.

I see where you are confused. Most vets recommend it as excel is one of the more readily available pellets on the market so if your bun id ok with it then that's fine.

SS tends to be a bit better on tummies for some reason. You may think that alfalfa in SS is bad for rabbits - it is due to the high calcium content but if you only feed an eggcup full per rabbit per day then it's not actually that bad. Advice is to not feed alfalfa hay as that would be fed in umlimited quatities with rabbits getting far more calcium than is good for them.

Thank you - that makes sense - so, I presume with Excel, it will sometimes affect some bunnies, but not others. However, if it does then I suppose it's best to change. Also the alfalfa info makes sense - thank you again!:D

Hi check out my post http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=199785

I had exactly the same problem with the same brand of food! Cut down the grass pellets and provide huge amounts of hay green ones are the best timothy western or orchard grass (orchard grass is my bunnies preferred) just over a week of doing this diet and the male's stomach has had no problems at all! Do the change over slowly though!

Many Thanks

Many thanks to you all for the quick and helpful replies!!

I have now got some Science Selective after research! Gave each bunny a pellet and to my suprise they chewed it right up asking for more!!
Will work it in over the next 10days slowly, but my question...

The back of the pack says 60-70g a day, we were giving only 65g for two with the burgess... Is it best to do more like 60 for both of them?!

Many thanks

Back