• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Withholding food and water before surgery

Sakura6267

Warren Scout
Do I have to withhold or limit Yuki's food and water intake before I bring him to the city for his tooth extraction? If I do, how many hours? The vet didn't say anything about it on Wednesday, but I always have to do it for my cat so I was wondering if it was the same for a bunny.

No, they didn't say anything about food and water. I just thought because it's dangerous for a cat to have food and water before surgery if it was like that for a bunny as well. So I'm guessing it's ok to feed him some Critical Care before I go? He'll probably go about 2 hours without food and water before the surgery anyway because it takes an hour to get there, then they'll be setting him up and doing x-rays.

Put some hay and some water-soaked grass/dandilions in his carrier when you take him in the car as you don't want him to get dehydrated! Bunnies should never be starved!

He should be fed as normal up until the op. ;) Can you place some hay in the carrier so he can nibble that on the way if he wants?

Animals are usually starved to ensure they can't vomit & choke during the op; rabbits can't vomit, so they don't need to be starved.

Good luck for his op. xxx

My Gizmo was booked for today for neutering (didn't happen just an MOT and jab, see my introduction post) but, my vets said to let him eat normally and put Timothy hay in the cage, I took him in a cage and they said that was great as he could be put in that on coming round from the op and it would be familiar to him and they would watch to see him eating the hay asap. They told me to keep things completely normal as possible so not to stress at all.:wave:

I actually always stick hay in his carrier on these long trips to the city. The problem is that he doesn't eat it. I just can never get him to eat hay. :( I'll give him a carrot in there too since he usually eats those. I'll ask the vet if they can syringe feed him some water or something before they put him under.

Also send some food with him to the vets too, so he can have his own yummy food there too, if he wants too.

Rabbits have no gag reflex, so there is no risk of vomitting.

Back