• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my housing suitable?

xEmily

Mama Doe
Checking for two reasons really, firstly because we are hoping to get a rescue bunny for Polly as Doogal was pts a couple of weeks ago, and obviously we want to provide a great home for them, and to pass the home check!

Secondly, because of Doogies accident, breaking her leg, I am a lot more concerned about the fragility of the bunnies, and as you can see in the picture they get in and out of the hutch by hopping up onto the box and in, and down again. Is this actually safe for the rabbits? The last thing we would want is for one to get hurt doing this. I think the picture makes it look a bit steeper than it is, if Polly stood on her hind legs she is a lot taller than the jump onto the box, and the jump up to the hutch from the box is even shorter.

I know the hutch is pretty small (when my mum first bought the hutch and bunnies, she was told the hutch was plenty big enough for two teeny 'lionheads'... but of course they grew twice the size, and I think are much more lop than lionhead haha. I understand that the area for the rabbits has to be at least 36 sqaure feet, which the hutch isn't (I'd estimate it as 5x2x2 ?), but obviously they have the whole patio area to run around in (there's another 4 feet or so in depth that you can't see in the picture), so would that make it suitable? The bunnies do get shut in their hutch at night though, that's usually from 10pm to 7am. Would we need a bigger hutch? Money is very tight at the moment, I'm not entirely sure that we can afford one.

They also get a lot of time free range in the garden. So any thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions/critique! Thanks :)

IMG_1253.jpg

:wave:
Personally I don't think the hutch is big enough, even just for overnight, also I think the height could be quite dangerous, the box will have a slippy surface which also could contribute to an accident, I guess the legs could easily be cut to lower the hutch as a first immediate option.
You can get some real bargains on ebay with regards to hutches and combo's, some may look a bit 'iffy' but with a little imagination you could completely transform it, I did this with my sisters and the end result was completely different with not much expense.
many rescue's have their own requirements for homing rabbits and I would search for a fav bun then contact them for advice.

Personally I don't lock my buns up at all. If they are safe during the day they are safe during the night. Is it enclosed in anyway? Remember rabbits can jusmp 4ft if they feel the urge. Mine jump into and out of the top floor of ther digs when I clean them out. I think your hutch looks more like 3-4 ft bys 2ft, but I can't see the top, but it does look tall. But photos can be decieveing. Could a ramp be securely fitted as another means of getting up?

It is more common to have a lid on the run, if the buns are in anyway exposed to predators, such as cats, dogs and foxes. Foxes are becoming less scared of humans, and are often coming out in the daylight as humans encroach on their humting grounds. I know of two local to me. they have never beed around mine, but they are about a 5 minute walk away.

Have a look on places like ebay, gumtree and preloved for a bigger set up, or a more secure run

:wave:
Personally I don't think the hutch is big enough, even just for overnight, also I think the height could be quite dangerous, the box will have a slippy surface which also could contribute to an accident, I guess the legs could easily be cut to lower the hutch as a first immediate option.
You can get some real bargains on ebay with regards to hutches and combo's, some may look a bit 'iffy' but with a little imagination you could completely transform it, I did this with my sisters and the end result was completely different with not much expense.
many rescue's have their own requirements for homing rabbits and I would search for a fav bun then contact them for advice.

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes I definately agree that the hutch is too small, I'm not quite sure what you mean by combos? Do you mean extending this hutch, or making another level underneath or something? I will have a look around and see if there's anything fairly cheap that I can find. I will suggest to my parents to cut the legs shorter too. It's a bit of a pain with me being so far away at university, as I feel like I can't actively do anything!

We were thinking about getting a rescue bunny over Christmas when I would be home and could sort things out, and have time for the bonding etc. So obviously we would want to get the housing sorted out first.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Personally I don't lock my buns up at all. If they are safe during the day they are safe during the night. Is it enclosed in anyway? Remember rabbits can jusmp 4ft if they feel the urge. Mine jump into and out of the top floor of ther digs when I clean them out. I think your hutch looks more like 3-4 ft bys 2ft, but I can't see the top, but it does look tall. But photos can be decieveing. Could a ramp be securely fitted as another means of getting up?

It is more common to have a lid on the run, if the buns are in anyway exposed to predators, such as cats, dogs and foxes. Foxes are becoming less scared of humans, and are often coming out in the daylight as humans encroach on their humting grounds. I know of two local to me. they have never beed around mine, but they are about a 5 minute walk away.

Have a look on places like ebay, gumtree and preloved for a bigger set up, or a more secure run

No the whole thing isn't enclosed, in the top left of the pic you can just see the top of the mesh fencing bit. We aren't able to enclose it completely really because our back door opens into it, and we need to be able to get in and out of the garden! I suppose it would be possible to enclose it and have a door, but my dad is already mad enough that we put bunnies in 'his' patio area, I really can't see him agreeing to it. There are foxes in the area, they have stolen chickens from our garden in the past, so I presume they are still about, which is why we have to keep them in the hutch at night.

Yeah I think the photo is quite deceiving, things look taller/longer in it, the hutch is not that tall I don't think! A ramp is a good idea, thanks. Not sure how we would attach it to the ground though, would have to have a think. Thanks!

A combo is somthing like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6ft-Giant-Rab...et_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item27ac6b432d Where the hutch sits on the run.

ETA: the hutch isn't big enough on this one, it needs to be at least 24 inches deep and tall

Ah ok thanks. Would our hutch be big enough if it was converted to have a run underneath? Only problem is, as Polly is used to have the whole patio, with a run like that she would only have a small area, and she does like dashing round doing mad binkies round the patio!

The hutch isn't an adequate size. It looks like a 4ft hutch to me (although photo's can be decieving!) Most rescues want at least a 6x2x2 hutch with at least 6x6 enclosed run space, and won't pass a home visit without.
I myself got a double 4ft hutch with my first bunny...it is made of plywood and has started to rot (5 years later), dogs mananaged to prise the back off too....needless to say it hasnt' been used for many years! (So we all make mistakes with our first bunnies!)
If money is an issue then you need to think if vets bills would be an issue when you got the rescue bun.

The bunnies in the picture are gorgeous!

Why not cut the legs down on the hutch a bit, so it's easy for your bunnies (who are sooo cute!) to get in and out of. Then make a run which pushes up against the hutch. We extended our hutch and run like this, and it works really well. Then your bunnies have the choice of where to sleep, play etc.

The hutch isn't an adequate size. It looks like a 4ft hutch to me (although photo's can be decieving!) Most rescues want at least a 6x2x2 hutch with at least 6x6 enclosed run space, and won't pass a home visit without.
I myself got a double 4ft hutch with my first bunny...it is made of plywood and has started to rot (5 years later), dogs mananaged to prise the back off too....needless to say it hasnt' been used for many years! (So we all make mistakes with our first bunnies!)
If money is an issue then you need to think if vets bills would be an issue when you got the rescue bun.

The bunnies in the picture are gorgeous!

Actually I think you are right, it does look like a 4ft hutch, eek that makes me feel terrible :S Right I'll definately have a word with my mum, money is never an issue for vet bills and stuff, we spent well over £300 on Doogal in the summer, (£200 for her operation, and then more for each check up, and then to be pts at the end) and obviously have all the vaccinations done, I think it's more of having to spend out on an expensive hutch when we already have one. I know this one isn't suitable though, maybe if I offer to pay some, my sister does, and my parents pay the rest we can get a bigger one.

Oh and thanks! They are gorgeous :D

Why not cut the legs down on the hutch a bit, so it's easy for your bunnies (who are sooo cute!) to get in and out of. Then make a run which pushes up against the hutch. We extended our hutch and run like this, and it works really well. Then your bunnies have the choice of where to sleep, play etc.

Thanks, I think that might be the solution that would work best. I'll see if I can go home for a weekend soon and sort it out!

Actually I think you are right, it does look like a 4ft hutch, eek that makes me feel terrible :S Right I'll definately have a word with my mum, money is never an issue for vet bills and stuff, we spent well over £300 on Doogal in the summer, (£200 for her operation, and then more for each check up, and then to be pts at the end) and obviously have all the vaccinations done, I think it's more of having to spend out on an expensive hutch when we already have one. I know this one isn't suitable though, maybe if I offer to pay some, my sister does, and my parents pay the rest we can get a bigger one.

Oh and thanks! They are gorgeous :D

Don't feel terrible...like I said...we've all made mistakes! I wouldn't get one from a pet shop as they can be very expensive and not as good quality. Ted's outdoor hutch came from Ryedale hutches. These are second to none and I would highly recommend them!

Good luck finding one, and let us know how it goes!

Don't feel terrible...like I said...we've all made mistakes! I wouldn't get one from a pet shop as they can be very expensive and not as good quality. Ted's outdoor hutch came from Ryedale hutches. These are second to none and I would highly recommend them!

Good luck finding one, and let us know how it goes!

Thanksyou :) I'm having a look on ebay, there's some not bad prices actually. If only this one stayed at £31... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GIANT-6-TRIPLE-Rabbit-guinea-pig-Ferret-Hutch-RUN-113_W0QQitemZ290359439208QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Small_Animals?hash=item439ac56f68

That hutch deffinitely won't stay at £31.
I foster for a rescue and we were trying to buy me some hutches and hutches of that nature went into the £100s.
I'd try something like a shed.
You pick these up second hand really really cheaply. If you were to get a 6ftx4ft it'd be twice the size of a minimum requirement (over night) and you could add levels which would be a fantastic, stimulating enviroment for your buns overnight.

A coverted shed is a great idea. Mine is 6x4 and has a run attached by way of a cat flap. Inside there is an extra door (in two parts) made of strong mesh so it can be left open on nice days. Anyway, here are some pictures:

003.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

119.jpg

If you are looking at hutches it is wise to check on the height of each level and also the depth of the hutch. The interior height of each hutch is only 20 inches and they are 20 inches deep which when taking into consideration the ladders this reduces the available space by a good amount.

It is better to look at hutches which are 24 inches tall per level and 24 inches depth.

Thanks for the ideas and the pictures :)

I really like the idea of a converted shed, probably wouldn't be too different in price to a hutch, and would have more space. The only problem I can see is that having a shed where the hutch is would block of one of the windows, plus being so large it would take up a big chunk of our patio area! I'll talk to my parents as soon as I can, and hopefully will persuade them to upgrade bunny accommodation.

We got the 6x4x2 double hutch off this ebay seller with a hutch cover plus postage for approx £155.00. We have since had a 6x5 run from them as well. Good quality and very fast service. :)

Thanks, that's useful to know :)

S5000908.jpg
this is how I started last August
IMG_6382-2.jpg
it then went to this

IMG_6380.jpg
then I doubled it and joined it

then

I got this

shed2001.jpg

I realise it is not somethink people can fit into their garden or can afford, but I saved hard and got my dream bunny house :) Just need my dream bunnies to become friends?

Back