• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits needing neutering.

becciwales

Young Bun
Hello, as some of you know I have two brothers, 10 week old dwarf lops and they will need neutering, they are currently living together, I have read on RU that rabbits need to be kept apart for hormones to settle after neutering, will mine need to be kept apart as they have been together since birth, this will pose a problem to us as we only have one hutch and have no idea how to rebond them afterwards. Any info or advice, as always will be greatfully received!!! We unfortunately are guilty of ignorance with bunny owning and should have looked at a forum 1st, I definitely would have rescued them as I did with my dog, before going to pets at home if I had, so although it is a bit late now, thanks for the advice it has been taken on board for future reference!!

P.s I would like to thank everyone for their advice so far!!!!!!!

I've managed to keep two foster boys upto neutering age (5 months) without having to separate, but that can be unusual rather than the norm.
At any point one of them may start humping the other, and once their hormones kick in you can end up with a really nasty fight, and they can inflict horrible injuries on each other (some have virtually castrated each other:mrgreen:)

I'd be prepared to separate them just in case.

What sort of set up do you have now?

Hiya, we have a hutch in a shed that we are about to give up to the bunnies completely, we have had some fab ideas off this forum and another one (golden bunnies). We are going to open up the hutch and allow them to have full use of the shed with toys and a bed with hay in it but keep their sleeping quarters the covered part of the hutch, this we hope to do on the weekend. It is a fairly decent sixed hutch for 2 10 week old lops and the seem to adore each other, they lie side by side and are always together!

Back