• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hellooo

VickiP

Wise Old Thumper
:wave:Good evening, just wanted to introduce myself. I have been reading bits and pieces on this forum for a couple of weeks and I think it's fab and everyone seems very well informed and helpful and friendly so I thought I would register on here. I am quite new to owning bunnies, I (rescued) a female dwarf lop about a year and a half ago from a friend, I looked after her while they went on holiday and 'bonded' with her, the poor thing had a harness on which she had worn for most of her life, that came off as soon as they had driven away :lol: - she cast a spell on me I think :love:-

Last edited:
wow thats a lot squished i read it, as im guilty of not breaking stuff up :lol:
its ok welcome, try not to beat yourself up with your mistakes from the past there are lots of loverly people here who will help on anything,

welcome :wave:

Hello Vicki, welcome to RU :wave:

You are very brave to put your story in your introduction and what a story you have to tell. I am so sorry you lost your bunny so young, but you did a wondeful thing taking her in from your friend where she wasnt happy and made her happy. You werent to know that she was pregnant - you said yourself there were not many obvious signs. Gizmo is lucky to have you - I hope his neuter goes well and that you are then able to find a lady bun for him.

I hope you find peace with the traumatic experience you had with your girly but be assured that you sound like you always had her best interests at heart, that you loved and cared for her well-being and that it led you to have Gizmo. For the time she was with you she must have been so much happier than she was with your friend.

Helen

I'm sorry for your loss! Try not to be too hard on yourself! You did your best! RU is a great place to increase your bunny knowledge,so WELCOME! :D:D I'm sure Gizmo will be fine, and will be happy and healthy when you get him a doe-friend!

Thank-you very much, I do appreciate your understanding (although I don't really deserve it) ( Sorry it was a long one wasn't it)! I am new to this and I touch type - looking at it now I am thinking OMG:oops: ! I do take comfort in the fact that she was really happy and lived a happy year and a half with me, she did get to do all the things bunnies should and she did have an a la carte menu every day :)the person concerned is not my friend anymore - long story but, needless to say seeing her dragging that little bunnie on the harness kind of meant it was destined to end once I had got her safe, I think sadly a lot of people just think 'oh it's only a rabbit - this I can't get my head around not just with rabbits but, any defenceless animals. Thanks again - all advice gratefully received, will try and post some piccies in the rainbow bridge section of her just learning tonight how to get around...better shut up as I am going on again! x

Thank-you very much, I do appreciate your understanding (although I don't really deserve it) ( Sorry it was a long one wasn't it)! I am new to this and I touch type - looking at it now I am thinking OMG:oops: ! I do take comfort in the fact that she was really happy and lived a happy year and a half with me, she did get to do all the things bunnies should and she did have an a la carte menu every day :)the person concerned is not my friend anymore - long story but, needless to say seeing her dragging that little bunnie on the harness kind of meant it was destined to end once I had got her safe, I think sadly a lot of people just think 'oh it's only a rabbit - this I can't get my head around not just with rabbits but, any defenceless animals. Thanks again - all advice gratefully received, will try and post some piccies in the rainbow bridge section of her just learning tonight how to get around...better shut up as I am going on again! x

:lol::lol: Its ok I do it too.

Looking forward to seeing pictures. Poor little bunny being pulled around on a harness :shock:

You did such a good thing taking her in. Oooh A la Carte menu - hee hee - now I have images of going out with a menu and the bunny putting its paw against carrot au cabbage!! or something!! :lol:

:wave: welcome

This is a great forum and you will learn so much but it sounds like you gave your bunny a lot of love and a wonderful time while she was with you..

Nobody is perfect and the fact that you feel terrible about it and do care so much means a lot (believe me a lot of people wouldnt even have bothered about the poor girl). We live and learn and now you have lovely Gizmo to look after and love :love:

I always get the 'its only a rabbit' comment too from people and the talk of them going in pies it drives me mad :censored: but we are the good people who care about living beings :D and just have to ignore stupid comments!!

Right im rambling too now its rubbed off on me :lol:

I always get the 'its only a rabbit' comment too from people and the talk of them going in pies it drives me mad :censored: but we are the good people who care about living beings :D and just have to ignore stupid comments!!

Me too - drives me insane when they are such intelligent beings with such varied personalities!

Hello :wave:

I'm also new to this site and have learnt a lot from the good advice I have been given!!

I'm also new to owning bunnies and am so worried about getting it wrong, I had one as a child and she became wild and was very concerned this would happen again, I also have the added worry about my Dog, he is a terrier x and VERY interested in our buns. But so far it is just staring and fingers crossed everything will be ok!! He's an intelligent dog, i'm sure he'll learn!!

I have found this forum very helpful indeed!!
:love:

Hello again, :wave: Thanks v much for the welcome notes, update on Gizmo he went to the vet today and had an MOT full check up and his myxi jab, the vet said it was better to get those done he has the VHD one booked for two weeks time and then he can be neutered two weeks after that. He checked his plums and seemed to think that it would be straightforward. Gizmo was a little darling as always and very brave as the needle went into the base of his ear!!! Then in his neck :(

He is grand now, very relaxed after lots of cuddles and treats chilling out in his hutch outside very sleepy zzzz he sort of snuffed at me a couple of times which I think was a bit of a telling off and then licked my forehead so I think I am forgiven. I am in a dilema really about whether to get him neutered or leave him and keep him as a sole bun as he gets loads of attention/company and he is soooo affectionate, no aggression or bad behaviour at all and I would be devasted if anything went wrong, I noticed someone else said they had lost one during the surgery:cry: I have got a couple of weeks to think about it, all advice/suggestions very welcome...

Beccy in Wales, I agree this forum is very informative and everyone is very welcoming and more than happy to help it's great - I have a staffy (old lady) 11 years now and she very chilled about the rabbit(s) had 2 for a while:( however, she only ever see's them from behind the safety of the bars of the run/playpen/hutch I don't think I would risk letting her near them, she is totally placid and never has shown any signs of aggression, she is a bit dis-interested to be honest although is protective and has scared off the local cat a couple of times :lol: I am sure your dog will get used to them being there as part of your 'pack' but, I would remain careful where your pooch is concerned! When I adopted my first one I was very careful to fuss my dog a bit more aswell as I didn't want any jealousy developing. I doubt your new bunnies will become 'wild' not with lots of interaction at their level, Gizmo likes to lick me wherever he can when I lay on the floor and he loves kisses but, does like his feet on the ground :love:

Hi :wave: and welcome!

Everyone has to start somewhere with their bunny knowledge and you're always learning as you go.

You did a great thing taking on that little bun and it was obvious she gave lots of love in return. Gizmo is a lucky boy and I'm sure he'll enjoy a lady bun for company (make sure you give it a month or so after neutering).

When it comes to looking, I bet there's a lovely rescue on here that's in your area. And don't forget to add photos when you get a new addition.

Good luck to Gizmo for his de-plumbing.

Naomi
x

Hi welcome to RU.:wave:

I'm so sorry about your little girly, binky free little one. Gizmo is a lucky bunny with a mummy such as you! I'm sending many vibes for his neuter. :)

Stef.

hello:wave: and welcome,your right this is a fantastic forum..i made lots if mistakes and listened to alot of wrong information.but thanks to this site my buns now live a life of luxuary lol xx

hello:D:wave: what a sad introduction. hindsight eh.....:( i've learnt a lot since being owned by eric and i'm glad you've found the forum:) wendy x

:cry::cry::cry: sooo sad, hopefully after your grieving you will be able to forgive yourself (which you should)...I kind of know how you feel (but no-where near to your extent as it was not my pet)

I looked after my mums dog for a week and on the last 2 days he became very quiet but still ate but would just sit in the corner (i thought he was just missing my mum) but when my mum came back she took him to the vets and he had to be pts :cry::cry: I always think What ifs?> IF I had taken him to the vets, IF I had known he was ill he would have survived, IF this IF that :cry::cry:

My mum didnt blame me in anyway but i still blame myself ... guilt is such a strong feeling and very hard to get rid of :love:

I bet your buns is having a great time on the bridge with her 5 babies, imagine the mischief they are up to :love: :love: :love:

aw ok sorry i thought you meant 5 babies (though she is probably playing with lots of baby buns at the bridge :), you may be right in the fact she didnt know what was going on - i suppose you will never know :(

The dog had a heart condition that we didnt know about and it just gave out :cry::cry:, he had probably had it since birth apparantly and the vet was surprised that he made it as long as he did - he was 6 :love:

awww at least you got some kisses in before she went - I always say goodnight and good bye to my buns when i go to bed and go out :oops: sad i know but i would hate anything to happen to them and i didnt give them one last stroke or kiss :love:

Hello and welcome :wave::D

I am sorry to here about your bun, but I'm your her life with you was so peaceful and happy. You did an awesome thing with saving her :)

Back