• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Corneal Abscess - any info?

Tinsel

Wise Old Thumper
Firefly has got one of these and the vet has prescribed tiacil. I found a picture on the web site linked but it looks much worse than Firefly's - larger ie covering more of the eye, and slightly more opaque.

(warning some unpleasant images)

http://www.ivis.org/journals/exoticdvm/9-1/Venold.pdf

Just wondered if the fact that F's is quite a bit "better" than the one in the picture suggests that his eye can be saved? (his sight almost certainly not; I realise that)

Any advice welcome!

The information you linked to implies that the smaller area means a better prognosis. Also they might drain/remove a section of the cornea rather than the whole eye in worst case senario. So I would err on the side of yes.

The information you linked to implies that the smaller area means a better prognosis. Also they might drain/remove a section of the cornea rather than the whole eye in worst case senario. So I would err on the side of yes.

That's encouraging. :wave: He's about seven and a half, so I really want to avoid GAs/ops if possible.

His eye is no worse today; hard to be sure if it's better but he needs a few more days on the drops to be sure. He's just had his metacam and is nomming away on some pellets and carrots; myxy looks like it's starting to scab over, which is good. Once the nodule below his eye reduces it will reduce the pressure on his eye as well. Will keep updating.

No other buns showing symptoms, touch wood, including his hutchmate...

I think very much will depend on if the active infection can be controlled and whether the damage causes an increase in intra-occular pressure thus causing pain :?
If the eye is 'useless' and permanently painful having it removed would be better for him I would have thought :? Although I realise he is an old man and so the op' itself would be an ordeal.

Tiacil is a good abx eye preparation for getting into the 'core' of an active infection so hopefully the abscess can resolve and any residual scar tissue that remains wont cause him longterm problems.

It does sound positive :D

Is he on oral ab's from the myxi, if so perhaps that helped prevent it being so developed.

Back