• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

GRRRR Pets at Home

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Wrong bl00min' sex advertised of a rabbit in their Adoption Centre bit. Went out with a carry case, carrots and everything - expecting to be able to bring her home, get her neutered, vaccinated etc. Only to find out 'she' is actually a 'he'.

Grrr. Very disappointed. And feeling sad and guilty for the boy rabbit.

That's a shame, you must be disappointed. :(:( It's not really any consolation but at least they realised before you trundled off home with him and became even more attached. Maybe he'll find a lovely new mummy who is looking for a boy. :):)

Thank you - I really wanted 'her' too as she was beautiful and kept coming to the front of her 'cage' to check me out. I just hope she gets a lovely home as she was only 4 months and had already been homed by P@H, then taken back to the shop. :(

There is also this giant bunny in there that is ALWAYS in there but advertised for £129!! It only has a small(ish) cage thing and I am so sorry for him or her.

I should avoid P@H as it just pulls on my heart strings too much.

There is also this giant bunny in there that is ALWAYS in there but advertised for £129!! It only has a small(ish) cage thing and I am so sorry for him or her.

I should avoid P@H as it just pulls on my heart strings too much.

If you can take a photo of this bunny and the cage and post it on here for others to look at then we can get in touch with the manager and go from there.

Not sure if you know the true story of where the rabbits and guinea pigs come from to end up at Pets At Home? They are breed by breeders just wanting money and not interested in the welfare of the animal (as p@h dont do home checks). The breeding animals are often kept in bad conditions and just over bred from.

Please think about getting a bunny or bunnies from a rescue.

If you can take a photo of this bunny and the cage and post it on here for others to look at then we can get in touch with the manager and go from there.

Not sure if you know the true story of where the rabbits and guinea pigs come from to end up at Pets At Home? They are breed by breeders just wanting money and not interested in the welfare of the animal (as p@h dont do home checks). The breeding animals are often kept in bad conditions and just over bred from.

Please think about getting a bunny or bunnies from a rescue.

Yes that is what I thought. I would never buy one of their baby bunnies - the one I was looking at was in the Adoption Centre and I thought "well she could end up anywhere, at least we can give her a loving forever home, and would ensure she got neutered and vaccinated". Believe me we are looking at rescue rabbits too - I was more concerned for this girl because she'd already had quite a bit of upheaval at 4 months old.

I couldnt take her though because we are adopting a buck on Saturday and are looking for a doe.

I suppose the giant bunny was in the largest cage that there is in P@H but in my personal opinion not really big enough for a bunny of its size and it has been there forever (presuming its the same bunny, which it looks as though it is). It'll probably die in there, because I cant imagine many people coming in a) looking for a giant rabbit and b) prepared to pay £130.

I'd gladly take it - but then what happens - do they think that was a 'success' and ask the breeders for more? Also the OH wasnt particularly taken with the giant rabbit - but if it was a she, and if she was ok to go with a medium sized male, then I would consider her. What a dilemma these pet shops put us in!!!

Boys + Boys work.... regardless of sex I'd have still taken him, as they're so bad, you never know, could still be a girl!

Well it wasnt obvious from the 'bits' but you could feel testicles, even though they hadnt dropped yet.

I am so confused at the moment, :cry: there are so may bunnies needing loving homes and I am confusing myself not knowing what to do.

We are getting Starbuck on Saturday and I so want him to have a lovely mate. I've heard from several people though just this week what a nightmare it can be to bond two males...I've never tried it before, and the advice I keep getting is male/female....:?

I can only keep my fingers crossed that this little boy gets a lovely home, like all the other bunnies that are in P@H as I cant help them all.

Male/Male isn't impossible, but you would have to wait until they are both neutered and fully calmed down until you tried to bond them.

Male/Male isn't impossible, but you would have to wait until they are both neutered and fully calmed down until you tried to bond them.

But as a first-time bonder, am I better off looking for a girl? I am so confused.

Starbuck is neutered but the boy in P@H (Sooty) is not.

Well i got a boy from P@H to go with my girl and 'he' we found out on tuesday turned out to be a girl so now i have 2 girls! :roll: We even asked 4 members of staff to sex the bun cos we definetly wanted a boy (3 said boy, 1 said girl)!!

Had her a month now so wouldnt change her for the world but 'he' is sticking and I still call her MR BUN - OH is NOT happy either now have 3 woman in the house!

Well i got a boy from P@H to go with my girl and 'he' we found out on tuesday turned out to be a girl so now i have 2 girls! :roll: We even asked 4 members of staff to sex the bun cos we definetly wanted a boy (3 said boy, 1 said girl)!!

Had her a month now so wouldnt change her for the world but 'he' is sticking and I still call her MR BUN - OH is NOT happy either now have 3 woman in the house!

Oh crikey!! Is it working out ok though?

I could feel some sort of testicles, I am sure of it, though it wasnt at all obvious from the 'bits'.

*Goes off to check 'rabbit sexing' pics*

Oh crikey!! Is it working out ok though?

I could feel some sort of testicles, I am sure of it, though it wasnt at all obvious from the 'bits'.

*Goes off to check 'rabbit sexing' pics*

Well at the moment they are side by side as the little one is only 3 months old and hasnt been 'done' yet. Thats how i found out because I took him to the vets to talk about castrating him and she said errrrr its a girl so apart from the having 2 girls thing we now have to wait another 2 months before she can be spayed and we can try and bond them!! Sooty my other girl is getting very impatient!!

My vet said you can usually see or feel testicals from 3 to 3 and half months, but girls also have 'bits' as I was certain he was a boy as he kinda had a lump down there :oops: but so do girls soooo confusing.. someone put a really good thread on a weeks back about sexing buns and very graphic pics :lol: have you seen that??

Well at the moment they are side by side as the little one is only 3 months old and hasnt been 'done' yet. Thats how i found out because I took him to the vets to talk about castrating him and she said errrrr its a girl so apart from the having 2 girls thing we now have to wait another 2 months before she can be spayed and we can try and bond them!! Sooty my other girl is getting very impatient!!

Oh poor Sooty!!

My vet said you can usually see or feel testicals from 3 to 3 and half months, but girls also have 'bits' as I was certain he was a boy as he kinda had a lump down there :oops: but so do girls soooo confusing.. someone put a really good thread on a weeks back about sexing buns and very graphic pics :lol: have you seen that??

I could sort of feel them but there were no obvious balls or anything. When she pressed on it a long thing definitely came out, but there was a long slit on it. I've really no idea. I would say it looked more like a boy but I cant tell.

Yes I saw it but cant remember the pics - just did a search and found the link but the photos have been taken down. Also looked at the pics on the houserabbit network site but its not entirely obvious from those either!

Now I have no idea what to do.

And what do I do about the giant housebunny?

:? im probably the last person to ask because im so impulsive, I only went in to buy hay when I came out with Oreo :roll: i just avoid going in all pet shops now because I just hate seeing bunnies in there looking sad and in need of a home and as you say there are so many :cry:

Just do what you feel you want to do - in your heart of hearts you want a girl then hold out for a girl - are there any rescues near you? If you cant get the 'boy/girl' out of your head i would get him.. but thats just me and the giant housebunny i would have in a second ( me personally) my 2 are house buns and would love a giant but just dont have the room. Was the giant a girl? is that an option to bond with your other - i really dont think size matters!
edited as I didnt realise it was £129 but surely if it has been there that long you could 'relieve' them of it - surely?

p.s My girl has a 'long thing that cames out' too!!

Last edited:
:? im probably the last person to ask because im so impulsive, I only went in to buy hay when I came out with Oreo :roll: i just avoid going in all pet shops now because I just hate seeing bunnies in there looking sad and in need of a home and as you say there are so many :cry:

Just do what you feel you want to do - in your heart of hearts you want a girl then hold out for a girl - are there any rescues near you? If you cant get the 'boy/girl' out of your head i would get him.. but thats just me and the giant housebunny i would have in a second ( me personally) my 2 are house buns and would love a giant but just dont have the room. Was the giant a girl? is that an option to bond with your other - i really dont think size matters!
edited as I didnt realise it was £129 but surely if it has been there that long you could 'relieve' them of it - surely?

p.s My girl has a 'long thing that cames out' too!!

:lol::lol: You are so on my wavelength!! I dont know whether the giant was a boy or girl as I was with the OH and he didnt "like the look of it" :roll::(

(Am very tempted to find out though!) I dont mind so much about the money - I am not well off by any means, mostly living out of my overdraft, but for the sake of an animal's well-being, I'd pay it. I'd worry though that it would encourage them to get more in 'stock' - grrr hate that word.

Yes there are 4 rescues very near to me and I will try them, I am sure they would have something. Starbuck is coming from a rescue in Bedfordshire so I dont mind travelling. But as I havent done bonding before am thinking a girl would be better.

PS It was a really long thing?!?! And it wasnt obvious but I think I could feel testicles of some sort :oops:

Back