• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Its got to that time of year :(

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Where I only get to see my bunnies in the day light on weekends :(

I feel such a terrible bunny mummy, as I use my head torch so I can clean (although I have heard rumors that I am getting a solar powered security light for my birthday) shining lights in their eyes, really cold.

Their care never suffers, but I do feel like their time with me does, as we tend to go in the run together etc

I do try to bring them into the outhouse, so we all get time together, and I have my rainbow rabbits hoodie, which is super warm.

Does anyone else feel like this and what do they do to combat it.

I was just thinking that too and was going to ask people how they cope...

Yesterday I left work early so that I could do cleaning before it got dark, but that will only work for so long! and everyone gets a good free run of the garden at weekends as much as poss

Last year wasn't so bad as I was working odd hours and normally had two or three mornings a week so that I could spend time with them

I miss my babies already :(

Yeap I know what you mean. I usually let the run around the garden after work for a couple of hours but it's get dark now so I think next week that will have to stop. They live in the shed so have plenty of space but they love free ranging in the garden.

It's horrid and I am just so thankful that they live in pairs in large accomodation. I miss them so much at this time of year. It was my day off today and I sat outside for ages with them.

I used to hate this :( :(

If I ever have outdoor bunnies again I will be having them in a shed with a good light fitted inside, so I can sit in and spend time with them. I am a total wuss with cold/wet weather so find it hard to sit out for hours watching bunnies in winter :oops::oops:

I hate the dark winter nights, don't get me wrong i still go out and sit in the sheds/run with them etc in the eves and of course see them all weekend but it just doesn't feel the smae this time of year if you get what i mean :?

I used to go and sit in their run with a torch but I couldn't stay out too long because of the cold when it got to real winter...

so last autumn (with Luna) I started bringing my buns inside on an evening and all night and put them back out in the morning before work :oops:

plenty of space but they love free ranging in the garden.
Cherry Keeps making a dart for the door to get out and have time in the garden, quickly followed by Charlie :)

Hs is it? I was thinking about to get one....
Price?
Brand?
Pics?
Thanks

I got mine from halford, but noticed just after I got mine that Netto had them in, and tonight I saw tesco had them in for £4.99. They are cycle torches

Yep, I feel the same :wave:

I have 15 outdoor rabbits, so I have to spend an hour or so outdoors with them after work, but I always feel guilty that they can't go on the lawn because of the risk from foxes, and I worry that I'll miss signs of an illness if I only see them by the light of my head torch.

I've been thinking this, its pitch black by the time I get home now so i just have to put the food out, water, give a sweep and then go :( I need a light for my shed!

It may be a handful to do with 15 buns, but could you not free range them in the house for an hour or so when you get in from work? Mine are house buns so I dont have this problem, but I can understand it must be difficult.

the problem with bringing out door buns inside is that it is often too warm inside. a degree or two's difference is all they can handle. Charlie has his winter coat now, and is being quickly followed by the others. To bring him in regularly would mean loosing his winter coat, and with it the protection from the weather outside. This then leaves them open to to cold and more suceptable to other problems.

It may be a handful to do with 15 buns, but could you not free range them in the house for an hour or so when you get in from work? Mine are house buns so I dont have this problem, but I can understand it must be difficult.

I could apart from the fact that I have 5 house rabbits too! Three live in the special rabbit room at the back of the house, one in lounge/diner and one in the hallway...so the house is pretty much full up :lol:

My buns are house rabbits, but I have just had a hi-lo light fitted to the rear. Its great. It comes on as a dimmed light when it gets dark and if a burglar steps into the garden, or I guess a fox, it will come on as a flood light. Not expensive from Homebase

My buns are house rabbits, but I have just had a hi-lo light fitted to the rear. Its great. It comes on as a dimmed light when it gets dark and if a burglar steps into the garden, or I guess a fox, it will come on as a flood light. Not expensive from Homebase

Oh that sounds good, we have been looking for an outdoor light...I will have to have a look.

I've fitted a rope light. I turn it on when the buns are free ranging in the evening and then switch it off when I put them back in their hutch. It gives quite alot of light. I still get cold but it's worth it to see them running around binkying.

Picture.jpg

I've fitted a rope light. I turn it on when the buns are free ranging in the evening and then switch it off when I put them back in their hutch. It gives quite alot of light. I still get cold but it's worth it to see them running around binkying.

That's good - might have a look at getting one of those.

Picture.jpg

That is so cute, with the light it looks so cosy! I could easily sit out there watching bunnies (as long as I had my thermals on!) :lol:

I am really lucky as I am self employed so I spend an extra hour with my bunnies in the morning before I go to work. We did work from home before but the business has grown and we had to get a business unit, so I miss being at home as much as I was.

I hate the dark nights though, thankfully I have 2 bunny sheds that are nice and cosy to sit in. I also have a head torch! :roll:

Might ask Santa for some more outside lighting for Christmas.

Back