• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Carriers for long journeys

shannon321

Alpha Buck
Fingers crossed ill be going up to collect bobbi from essex in 3 weeks, now i've got a basic sized cat carrier which i use to take bun bun to the vets but she is cramped in there, she can turn around but thats about it for such a long journey (6-8 hours) what sort of carrier is reccomended?

I know all about keeping cucumber for fluids and stopping to offer water etc but what else do you do to make them comfortable on such long journeys? i presume theres no way of letting them stretch there legs? would it hurt them to be kept that cramped up?

what a brill idea, i've got one of them anyways (been sitting in porch so sure will need a good clean)..... just got to see if it will fit in car now!

i can't believe i never once thought of using it :lol:

I either use a HUGE cat carrier or an old feraplast cage like in the link above. My only suggestion is to put something on the bottom that isn't slipper - I've used vet bed, blankets of pieces of carpet. The first time I ever took th buns on a long car journey in the old feraplast cage I lined it with newspaper and they slid all over the place! I've also found they are calmer if the cage is partially covered.

You can attach a bottle to it

It'll leak whilst you're driving :lol: Probably just best to attach the bottle during breaks! And yes agree the flooring has to be non slip and a cover for the cage also goes down well.

I dont think the carrier has to be huge - so long as the rabbit has space to lie down comfortably. (Muppet's a poor car traveller and prefers to lie down for stability I think.) If a rabbit's nervous it will probably prefer a relatively small dark place to 'hide' in.

Don't attatch a bottle :lol:
They just leak and they won't drink from them :lol:
I'd attatch it in a break :)

I did a 9 hour journey with Ozzie,my pet carrier was just the normal cat sized one.Dont worry cos they wont eat or drink whilst travelling but he did eat, drink and have a run around when he got home.We did stop for breaks for us [and I'd find a secluded parking spot open the car door and put the carrier by the door just for some fresh air [others will tell you if this is a good idea].:D

I recently went on a 5 hour trip to a show with two of my rabbits.
The waterbottles were too noisy and leaked like mad, and the rabbits didn't even use them - even when we had breaks. They also didn't move round whils't in their carriers so I wouldnt say blow all your money on the biggest you can find.

I fed them loads of soaked hay and veg before, and they were fine. I also covered the carriers with black sugar paper so they couldn't see out but still breathe.

Back