• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Urgent advice needed on baby bunnies. UD and added pictures

bunnytoes

Warren Veteran
I was told to move this thread. Here are the original details.

We have a wild rabbit that keeps digging holes in the front yard and having babies in the exact same spot. I fill in the hole when the babies leave. It is in an wide open area next to the the side walk not a safe area. The last litter of babies were born last week. It has been raining here since early morning. I noticed this afternoon that the hole had flooded. There were lying in 3 separate places on the top of the grass in the open. I covered them with grass to hide them and put an umbrella up to protect them from the rain. I called the wildlife place it was before 4 pm but it went to voice mail. I called an emergency hot line and was told that I did the right thing. That I should try and get the water out of the hole and put them back and wait to see if the mom comes. I scooped the water out but the ground is so saturated even thought the umbrella was covering the hole the water pours back. I left them out of the hole. I watched them and for the mom. She never came. It is still raining. It is 67 degrees not really cold but the babies bodies were cold and the grass is puddling and they were lying in standing water. I put them in a box lined with hay. They are on a heat pad on low in the bathroom. 2 of them do not look good. Lying on their back/side. I called the hot line back which turns out is 6 hours from here. She gave me the # of a vet specializing in cotton tails closer to me. This women was of no help. She acted like I had the wrong # and finally said she was a vet but only specialized in hawks. Later admitted she use to specialize in rabbits but no more and it was like pulling teeth to get her to tell me anything except don't feed them formula. She finally gave me a number to call in the morning and said if I can get them there in the morning that place will help. They are closed now. The bunnies are in the bathroom in a box lined with hay on the heat pad. The one that looked like it was dying on it's back has snuggled up in a ball in the hay. The 3 of them has nestled into the hay and look a lot better. Before they were very cold feeling and 2 were on their back/side with their feet up and twitching. Does anyone have any advice? Is there something else that I can or should do for them?

Last edited:
Now the update this morning. The babies have survived the night. I have talked to wildlife rescue and rehabilitation this morning this is a major problem right now in our area. Most bunnies are dying though but the women said because they have their eyes open they have a better chance. There is no room at any of the places for them to take them. I talked to one that already has a bunch and asked me to care for them. She said to try feeding them rabbit pellets, hay and carrot tops and offer water in a lid. They wont eat or drink. I don't know if they are just scared or what but they are lethargic. I picked them up. They are light and won't move. I have all 3 around the dish of food. They are in a ball and will not move. I syringe water to their lips and they will not drink. They feel cool. I don't know what to do. The rescue said to leave the heat pad off. Any ideas?

No one?????????????? No advice? Vibes for babies? Anything?
I talked to the rehabilitation place that was supose to take them but has too many. I was told that one group that they had were terrified and didn't respond to them for 24 or 30 hours. I am not sure if they are just scare or if it is something more. The reason I took them in the first place is because they were not moving outside either. They were not even trying to get themselves out of the puddles of water. They were drowning in. They feel very cold so I put the heat pad back on and am trying to leave them be. I checked and now that they have warmed up they have moved back down under the hay and are snuggling. How long can they go without eating or drinking?

It might be an idea if you can get a quick picture of them to show the age?

I know they can start eating young but if they're only 2 weeks old or so they may need something else too.
I don't really know anything about them as babies, but I hope someone who has done comes along and helps you!

:wave: Sending loads of vibes for the poor wee babies x I have no advice unfortunatly except that I would definatly have them on a heat pad.

Maybe you should add something like urgent advice needed to the thread title :D

Thank you. I will take a picture later. They have just burred themselves in the hay and I don't want to bug them as they may be scared. I was told by the wildlife if their eyes are open and ears up they should be ready to eat. I was also told that they should be the size of a tennis ball at this age. One is but the other 2 are much smaller. I know that they were born about 12 or 13 days ago. I know she the mom dug the hole then. She keeps having her babies in the same place even thought I cover the hole up. After 10 days and eyes are open with up ears they are supose to be able to eat. They are cotton tails.

The one big piece of advice the wild life rescue gave me was not to feed them any kind of formula. They said if I did they would die.

It didn't work. I don't know how to add urgent to the thread title. Sorry I am not very computer savvy.

Go to your orgional post and click "edit" and add urgent infront of your title

I'm sure someone has used forumla or something before?

i am no expert, but when one of my buns were poorly i put some of the pellets mixed with water in microwave for 20 seconds and it turns to mush, i let it cool down and syringed a bit to my bun every hour... i am not saying its what you should do but if you get desperate it might be a good idea.....good vibes for you x

Go to your orgional post and click "edit" and add urgent infront of your title

I'm sure someone has used forumla or something before?

Thankyou Steph. The wild life rescues said the survival rate for cotton tails being feed formula was very slim. They said that since their eyes are open they would have a better chance of living if I feed them food and no formula. That was the first thing that each place told me. I am not sure why just trying to do all I can for them. With the heat on they are moving a bit and seem much better. I have the food in there still and will try putting it to their mouths again now that they are warmed up and moving a little. I will try the water again too.

Thankyou Steph. The wild life rescues said the survival rate for cotton tails being feed formula was very slim. They said that since their eyes are open they would have a better chance of living if I feed them food and no formula. That was the first thing that each place told me. I am not sure why just trying to do all I can for them. With the heat on they are moving a bit and seem much better. I have the food in there still and will try putting it to their mouths again now that they are warmed up and moving a little. I will try the water again too.

I think water would be the most important. Do you have a little syringe? Not to force it down them, but if you offer them some water out of it they *might* be willing to take a bit. It's worth a try anyway :?
You must be so frustrated not knowing! :(
Do you have any dandelion you could pick for them? If they're wildies they might take to a little bit of that :? I'm presuming wildies can take it from any ages seen as though they'd be starting to nibble at food themselves

i am no expert, but when one of my buns were poorly i put some of the pellets mixed with water in microwave for 20 seconds and it turns to mush, i let it cool down and syringed a bit to my bun every hour... i am not saying its what you should do but if you get desperate it might be a good idea.....good vibes for you x

Thank you very much for the advice. I will mush up the pellets later if they are still not eating by this afternoon.

oh golly!! You must be out of your mind with worry.
What about a drop of goats milk???
Hope the little darlings survive.Sorry Im no use.xx

I think water would be the most important. Do you have a little syringe? Not to force it down them, but if you offer them some water out of it they *might* be willing to take a bit. It's worth a try anyway :?
You must be so frustrated not knowing! :(
Do you have any dandelion you could pick for them? If they're wildies they might take to a little bit of that :? I'm presuming wildies can take it from any ages seen as though they'd be starting to nibble at food themselves

I can't find any dandelion but picked some carrots top from the garden. The wild bunnies like to steal it. They ate the carrot tops so I got more. They seem much more alert and moving a bit with the heating pad on. The heat seems to be the secret. It is not cold in here and they are in hay but they did get soaking wet and chilled from the rain yesterday. I tried the water from a syringe dropper before but will keep trying that since they seem more alert.

I can't find any dandelion but picked some carrots top from the garden. The wild bunnies like to steal it. They ate the carrot tops so I got more. They seem much more alert and moving a bit with the heating pad on. The heat seems to be the secret. It is not cold in here and they are in hay but they did get soaking wet and chilled from the rain yesterday. I tried the water from a syringe dropper before but will keep trying that since they seem more alert.

Glad they seem a bit more alert :D
bet the poor things are so confused, they're lucky you found them :love:

you can get some recovery food from the vets, you mixit with water, has all the nutritional stuff in it, if you mix it up runnier it can be fed with a syringe, can you call your vets for advice too? eve if its one on the vet nurses you can speak to
sending vibes

:( If their eyes are open they are at least 12 days old :) This is a good thing, they have much more chance of survival. Im sure people on here have hand reared babies on goats milk? Can you not call your own vets for advice? I would offer grass/dandelion/blackberry leaves/carrot tops, anything from outside that their mother wouldve been eating. Theyre probably not eating the pellets because they have no idea what they are?

A bunny i had here recently had babies, but they all died at 4 days old :cry: Its so heartbreaking. I wish i could help you more, but i really have no idea :(

Where abouts are you location wise?? xXx

Back