• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Question Re VACCINATED Buns WHO HAVE DEVELOPED MYXOMATOSIS

Where did Your Vet Administer the Intradermal Part of the Myxomatosis Vaccination ?

• All of the dose into the scruff

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • The 10% intradermal part into one earbase

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • The intradermal part into both earbases

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper

PLEASE ONLY VOTE IF YOUR VACCINATED RABBIT ACTUALLY DEVELOPED MYXOMATOSIS

When the Vet gave the vaccination to your Rabbit did he/she do all of the injection into the scruff ie including the 10% intradermal part, the 10% into 1 earbase or the 10% part into both earbases ?

Last edited:
Mine were done in the scruff of the neck none in the ear not sure if they did 10% in the skin or not but i will ask next time

When the Vet gave the vaccination to your Rabbit did he/she do all of the injection into the scruff ie including the 10% intradermal part, the 10% into 1 earbase or the 10% part into both earbases ?

Some vets have done the 10% into the scruff (only when I asked them to do the 10%!)

Our savvy vet does it into 1 earbase. x

p.s. none of mine have developed myxi (*touch wood*!) but thought it would be good for a lot of people to answer to get some sort of statistics

My buns havent got Myxi (thank god) but thoguht id answer anyway cuase im a bit worried now in case vet didnt vacinate mine properly, all he did was inject in the scuff of neck, no where else is that right? :shock:

Some vets have done the 10% into the scruff (only when I asked them to do the 10%!)

Our savvy vet does it into 1 earbase. x

p.s. none of mine have developed myxi (*touch wood*!) but thought it would be good for a lot of people to answer to get some sort of statistics

Thanks but this is really only for those whose Buns went on to develope Myxi.
I am wondering if its possible that we will see a higher percentage of vaccinated Rabbits who still develope Myxi when the 10% intradermal dose is only done into the scruff :?

Thanks but this is really only for those whose Buns went on to develope Myxi.
I am wondering if its possible that we will see a higher percentage of vaccinated Rabbits who still develope Myxi when the 10% intradermal dose is only done into the scruff :?

Maybe the poll could include another option of NO intradermal dose (i.e. if the vet just administered the WHOLE dose deep into the scruff)? I am sure there are some out there who are guilty of this.

I think to make this a valid poll, you would need to look at, overall, how most vets vaccinate.
If for example most vets inject into one ear base, even though more rabbits may develop myxi with this technique, it may be less percentage wise.

Sorry, to be so fussy.

Of the 3 that have developed myxi and are vaccinated 2 were vaccinated at my vets ( Diesel was done at Kirkby so I can't be sure about his) the 10% and the other part were done in the scruff by a vet I trust I hasten to add.

The vet I go to most (at the same practice )does 10% into the earbase usually.

I dont know if there is anything actually documented about this but FHB told my Vet that she believed it to be 'impossible' to get 10% into the dermis by injecting into the scruff. FHB did an 'experiment' injecting a dye (wont go into details as some folk would find it too :cry:) and FHB concluded that inadequate coverage was acheived by doing the 10% intradermal part anywhere but the earbase.
This convo took place during a CPD course my Vet attended about 3 years ago.

I dont know if there is anything actually documented about this but FHB told my Vet that she believed it to be 'impossible' to get 10% into the dermis by injecting into the scruff. FHB did an 'experiment' injecting a dye (wont go into details as some folk would find it too :cry:) and FHB concluded that inadequate coverage was acheived by doing the 10% intradermal part anywhere but the earbase.
This convo took place during a CPD course my Vet attended about 3 years ago.

In March FHB did the 10% in the scruff for Artie - absolutely no question she did it that was as she was talking me through what she was doing whilst she did it. She asked if they still did the 10% in ear base at the other vets I use. If I remember she said she prefers to give more than 10% to be on the safe side. Artie definitely had the same done in September. I wonder if she's changed her mind since above was said to giving a bigger dose intradermally in the scruff :? (Her colleague Ruth gives 10% in ear base).

In March FHB did the 10% in the scruff for Artie - absolutely no question she did it that was as she was talking me through what she was doing whilst she did it. She asked if they still did the 10% in ear base at the other vets I use. If I remember she said she prefers to give more than 10% to be on the safe side. Artie definitely had the same done in September. I wonder if she's changed her mind since above was said to giving a bigger dose intradermally in the scruff :? (Her colleague Ruth gives 10% in ear base).

Next time you see her could you ask :oops:

My two were down in the scruff with the 10% bit - vet talked me through it as she did it. However, there is some doubt whether or not the bunnies were already incubating virus :(

:wave: I shall tell her 'Jane wants to know ...'

:oops:

Show her this, it might win her over

rabbits511-2.jpg

So basically if the vet does the 10% intradermally in the neck, its basically not effective? :shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Back