• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another myxi story...

Lucybunny

New Kit
Hi :wave:

My two bunnies have also had it this year. :(

Victor, my poor little boy bunny, came down with it first with a swollen face, and although we hoped he might recover as he’d had his jabs, it wasn’t to be. I’d had him 5 years, ever since he was 12 weeks old so you can imagine how gutted I am. :cry::cry:

His wife, Ruthy, seemed alright so we thought her immunity must be okay but then 2 weeks later, I found 2 lumps on her and the vet confirmed myxi. She’s been a lot luckier and has only had it in the skin and has seemed pretty well and normal in herself. After reading the threads on here I was dreading her breathing getting affected but so far she's escaped that.

It’s been two weeks now since she started showing signs and she seems really perky. She’s still got the nodules but they’re beginning to look scabbier (unless that’s wishful thinking!) so I’m hoping she’s out of the woods.

Just wanted to share my story and ask a question for all the myxi-experts: if Ruthy continues okay (fingers crossed!) I’d like to try to rebond her, as she already seems lonely (she comes to me for cuddles way more that she used to, poor lamb). My question is: how long will it be before it’s safe to try? How long do they stay infectious after myxi?

Thanks very much,

Lucy

I'm in the same boat you are in. One bun died a few days in, his lungs were affected. My other bun still has it but less affected - just manky eyes & lumps. She started 18th Sept, & her lumps have now all scabbed & fallen off. She's still on anti biotics & pain killers & eye ointment. She's well in herself, although she's a bunny-bunny, not a human-bunny, so no doubt lonely.

I am hoping to rebond her into one of my other 2 pairs as soon as we have the all clear.

We still have one manky eye, as soon as that clears, I'm back at the vets to see about getting the all-clear to bond.

I'm in Leicestershire, very near Loughborough. There is loads of myxi in the wild rabbits around here, they seem to get it every year but I think this year has been particularly bad. :(

Lucy

May I ask how long ago they had had their jabs?? and perhaps you might pop over to JacksJane's thread at http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=200511

where there is poll for information on how many months after the jab buns came down with myxi. We are hoping to try and work out if there is something wrong with the vaccine this year maybe as so many buns who were vaccinated got it anyway. (mine too).

She has also started another poll about whether the buns had the 10% dermally.

Thanks for your support everyone. :)

And sorry to everyone who has lost buns, this year has been the worst. :cry:

I already did the vaccine poll: Victor came down with symptoms two weeks after his last jab, so I thought maybe it just didn't have time to start working properly. Then it was another two weeks after that Ruthy started showing lumps, so a month after in her case.

Ruthy is still doing really well though thank goodness! The lumps just look the same but she's fine other than that. I'm hoping a few more weeks will see her clear and I can start looking for a new friend for her. :)

Lucy

Back