• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding for Claustrophobic Rabbit

helgalush

Wise Old Thumper
Hi RU,

I'm hoping someone can give me some advice about potential holiday boarding for a housebunny that has claustrophobic tendencies.

Basically, we are considering adopting a bunny which cannot cope with being shut in to a cage, and destroys the whole cage if she does. We will be taking her as a housebunny in our spare bedroom which she will be able to free-roam about in, and when we are home to supervise she can go anywhere.

The only thing is, we like our holidays and I am worrying about whether we would be able to put her in to boarding as most are in hutches.

Does anyone know of a boarding in the Midlands which might be able to cater for her needs (ie in the house, if we have housetrained her, or in a large hutch/run facility)?

Thank you for any advice you can give, as this will probably influence whether we can go ahead and offer her a forever home.

Thanks
Helen

I dont know any but I am sure if you phone around you may find someone who may be able to help. If not could a family member/friend not saty at your whilst your away?

I have 2 giants. When i go on holiday they stay with Jo at The Bunnery. The bunnery has different branches so their may be one closer to you??

http://www.thebunnery.co.uk/asp/index.asp

Anyway, the enclosure is something like 13ft x 3ft wide... its massive :) Maybe that would be a possibility?

Theres also the idea of having a pet sitter/vet nurse coming to your own house to tend to her?

xXx

My Two are booked in for their first holiday with Jo at the bunnery next year! :D

Fab! They will love it! Mine have already been once this year, and are off again for the christmas week. Jo really loves the bunnies :love: I wouldnt leave them anywhere else :) xXx

Maybe you could get a friend to bunny/house sit for you when you are away. Thats what we do. Our friends who don't have animals for various reasons but still love them are always keen. I think being looked after at home is less stressful for the majority of animals.

Fab! They will love it! Mine have already been once this year, and are off again for the christmas week. Jo really loves the bunnies :love: I wouldnt leave them anywhere else :) xXx

When i met Jo she made me feel relaxed, you can see how much she loves the buns :love:
When i told her i come on RU she said she had a regular who comes on here and had booked up at Christmas, it was obviously you :D

Oooh the Bunnery looks fab! And not too far from us, thank you.

I have also done a little search tonight and found this one in Coventry:

http://www.hoppysholidays.co.uk/#

Has anyone used this one?

Helen

Personally I wouldn't

The hutches look small, and as they are on grass they will be locked away in the hutch bit at night :( which look to be tiny, but photos can be decieving, so contact them first.

Even the giant's accomodation looks like a converted bike shed, so a max of 7x4ft, and if the hutch doesn't have permenant access to the run, then its not much space, especially if they are a giant.

Also you need to consider if it rains what happens? do they get stuck in a hutch all day :( grass is going to get wet, and I doubt they will put the buns on it

Sorry I wasn't much help, but some things to think about.

Louise

Hi :wave:

My mum lives in Coventry and she's always looking after people's animals (including my rabbits when I'm away). She's been thinking about getting into boarding or pet sitting.

We have a hutch that's approx 5x3 two storey and the (permanent) run is about 8x5 I think. It's on concrete, but sometimes they move it to the grass during the day (under supervision). She could also do house visits if you preferred.

PM me if you're interested

Just wanted to echo the recommendations for The Bunnery. Our buns have been staying with Jacky in Bromsgrove & Jo in Cannock for the past 6 years and I wouldn't let them stay anywhere else. Give them a call and arrange to visit. You won't be disappointed! :D

I would say that the bunnery's are your best bet locally. They can offer quite spacious accommodation and if I had to go on holiday for an extended period of time I know they'd be able to accommodate my 4 house buns.

Hi :wave:

My mum lives in Coventry and she's always looking after people's animals (including my rabbits when I'm away). She's been thinking about getting into boarding or pet sitting.

We have a hutch that's approx 5x3 two storey and the (permanent) run is about 8x5 I think. It's on concrete, but sometimes they move it to the grass during the day (under supervision). She could also do house visits if you preferred.

PM me if you're interested

I've just realized who you are.:oops:

Hello :wave: and hello boys:wave:

But now I'm going show how I forget things cause I can't remember which boy is which please can you remind me.

Hello :wave:

In my signature it's Merry (formely Rye), Frodo (Wheat) and Pippin (Oats).

I'm attempting to post some more photos (I'm not great at this type of thing). This should be Merry and Frodo:

b3.jpg

and Pippin:

b2.jpg

They're doing really well. Merry seemed to develop a problem with his tear duct early on which is probably caused by his tooth roots. But I've taken him to several good vets and they seem to think he'll be fine so long as I keep an eye on him and keep his eyes clean.

Back